How long before periodic maintenance with Fuji 6x9 Rangefinders?

steve_kraft

Hello,

I am interested in picking up a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder, and have found

quite a few older ones around, but they have often had over 250

rolls run through them. I have read that these guys need periodic

maintenance for re-alignment and such, and was wondering both how

neccessary this is, and at what time this should be done? Lastly,

is this type of "overhaul" or regular checkup expensive?

Thank you,

-Steve

I finally got through to Fuji New Jersey after six calls. 5,000 and 10,000 frames (500 to 1,000 rolls of 6x7 or 600-1,250 rolls of 6x9) are in the manual. 250 rolls is nothing for a Fuji. That's only 2,000 frames, or 200 on the counter. Unless you shoot professionally, you would never even see 5,000 frames. And by that point, even the cost of major maintenance would be buried by even what you had spent on film and chemicals - to say nothing of color processing or printing.

Service at Fuji USA is handled on an as-needed basis, and there are no set prices (or according to them, intervals) for periodic maintenance - notwithstanding what is mentioned in the manual (the models without counters - like the GS645 folder - say maintenance ONCE A YEAR - come on!). The 6x9 cameras do not self-destruct, in other words - you treat them like any other.

Fuji is expensive.

Fuji-authorized shops seem to charge a minimum of $150 for any major maintenance or repair. But that's par for the course nowdays for anything. At least it is not a huge percentage of the price of the camera.

Steve,

I recall the manual stating maintenance intervals at 5,000 and 10,000 clicks (shutter releases). At 5K to be checked and serviced (I suspect a lube or leaf replacement) and the whole shutter unit to be overhauled and replaced at 10K.

With the 6x9 that's 8 per 1 on the counter, so if reading is 145 that'll amount to 1,1600.

Gary

Thank you for all of your time, and responses.

So, since since these cameras can keep going for a while, is it safe to assume that the older models (GSW690 Pro II and G690 for example) are probably solid investments, assuming they are in decent condition? Or, is it much safer to look for the newer models like Pro III?

Thank you again,

-Steve