at the Sigma 12-24 as I will be able to use it on a wider range of

my eos cameras. (namely my 10D's- ordered the 20d). Anyway, my

question is that on the Sigma lenses, I am sure in consideration of

vinetting, they require a rear gelatin filter. My question is, how

do you protect the lens front. I personally do not ever shoot

without some kind of protective filter on my current lenses. Any

experience here?

Thanks

The Lens cap of the 12-14 comes appart the front disk can be removed it is just a normal "large" lens cap. This leaves a ring on the camera which is a protective hood, OK for digital 1.6 crop cameras.

The dome of the glass is then well protected, as it is then recessed by 1.5cm. You do need to be sure to push it all the way on to avoid mechanical vignetting at 12mm.

--

Roger

Aron

I was the same as you before I got the Sigma, always using a protective filter. The built in hood and lens cap work well on the Sigma, at least so far, in protecting the front element. The hood is solid and the glass is always recessed behind it. The cap fits snuggly around the outside of the hood, and there is little risk of accidently smearing fingers across the glass when removing it or putting it back on as can occaisionally happen with more conventional designs. So far after six months of solid use I havn't had any problems, never having to deal with anything other than the occaisional bit of minor dust. Good luck.

I haven't used filters yet with this one, but would be interested in others' repsonses. The built in gel filter holder looks quite fiddly to use, especially in the field. BTW a polarizer doesn't work very well with such a wide angle as polarized light varies across the sky from a maximum at 90 degrees to the sun to zero at 180 degrees. Even at 28mm polarizers don't work that well.

Unfortunately,(well not really)

I really needed some wide angle ability by this week end and with B&H's closing for the holiday, I had to order last night(before getting replies). I decided to go with the old threaded filter front lens and got the 17-40L Canon f/4. I know I will get great quality with this lens, but I do want to purchase a super wide angle to get true wide shots from my 1.6 crop so the Sigma or the Canon 10-22 will be a future consideration. Thanks though.