Backdrops

drolight

Hi. Does anyone here know of a reliable place to buy backdrops? I

know B&H in NYC has a few to select from, but there must be other

outlets.Which ones have you used? I recently ended up using a "tarp"

I bought at HomeDepot (yeah, call me cheap!)

Also, what color/hue of a backdrop would you all use for general/on-

location type work? For weddings?

Thanks!

For a black backdrop, I use black fleece purchased at a fabric store. As long as you keep it clean, it works wonderfully and absorbs basically almost all light, leaving it black.

For white, I use white muslin, also bought at a fabric store.

Haven't come up with a "cheap" alternative for a "standard" portrait background yet...

I'm no expert on backdrops, but 120 inches is 10 feet. That's as wide or wider than most of the backdrops at B&H photo. Then you can buy as many feet as there is on the bolt to cover the background and, if desired, the floor.

As for color/hue, I'll leave that suggestion up to the experts. I bought something that looked like faded denim when I was at JoAnn's because it was wide and it was cheap! :-)

I agree with Kelvin about backdrop outlet. They have a great selection and decent prices. I like muslin and for a good general color grey is a good choice. It can be lit with gels for a little variety. I also go to eBay and have gotten a few Backdrop Outlet backdrops they had up for bid at half price or less. They also include a packet of dye with all their orders for plain muslin.

I believe the black fleece I got is 96" in width, though I haven't used it in a month or two, so I'm not totally sure. But I am sure that I got 5 yards of it.

So for my one or two person portraits, it's more than enough.

It really depends on what you're using it for, doesn't it fei8ht*? It won't do for a 20 person group shot, but for one or two? If you stay tight enough, 5' would work fine...

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, Gary, 5' would be more than sufficient for one or two or even three people. I'll check the backdropoutlet for deals. I did see some auctions of eBay but wasn't sure about the quality. So, paper and canvas over muslin, eh? Ok. I'll check that out too.

• 3 years later...