Center-weight filter for Plaubel Veriwide (40.5mm)

cxc

Sometimes I get a lot of light fall-off in the corners when using my

Brooks-Plaubel Veriwide. I have yet to locate a center-weight filter

that fits its 40.5mm front threading. Anybody have any suggestions?

The effect was particularly strong on the last roll I shot, which was

Impresa 50 (rated 30) on a bright, sunny day (of course). Is falloff

generally more noticeable on some films, or in certain lighting?

TAI for any info/suggestions,

CXC

For the "home-brew" take on this, check out <http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/center.html>.

Assuming you'd like to be more "official, however, you might find a step-up adapter to take a 48mm or 52mm filter, unless the shaded center area in those larger sizes would be too large for your lens. Those sizes -- which are more common -- will probably be less expensive. The adapters typically go for under $10.

Roger, I only have the f/8, unfortunately.

Now that I think about it, the problem roll was shot entirely at f/8, which I now remember maximizes the problem. My tripod broke, so I was handholding, and didn't want to drop below 1/250, which, given I was shooting Impresa at 30, meant f/8.

I'd prefer to avoid the filter altogether, to keep metering as simple as possible. In the future, I'll stick to NPZ when handholding.

Thanks,

CXC

the f8 @ f8 -- that explains it. wide open the f8 will vignette at the 6x10 size of the brooks. however, by f11, the vignetting should be nearly invisible depending on subject matter (can't promise about a white wall!!). i would really advise you to steer clear of a center filter. this robs the brooks of it essential character as a superwide point and shoot. you will lose 2-3 stops in a camera that is already a slow design (do you really want a min aperture of f16-f22??). try to shoot at f11 when you can, and certainly when you see that the subject matter will call attention to the vignetting. frankly, i often find a little vignetting desireable to focus attention on the center. you can also compensate a little at the printing stage by holding back the edges (assuming you have some detail). anyway, just my $.02. i have shot hundreds of rolls -- thousands of images -- with my brooks (admittedly a late 5.6 version) and have never even considered a center filter. in the end, maybe you should just toss one in your bag to have it handy if needed. good luck -- you've got a great camera.

Roger, I believe your advice is sound, and intend to follow it. Instead of a filter, I'll spend my money on a new compact tripod. No more shooting at f/8 for me, except for intentional vignetting.

By the way, the one shot worth printing on my all-f/8 roll by pure luck happened to benefit from the vignetting.

The Veriwide remains my favorite lensed camera. I'm glad I don't have to give up on my favorite film, Impresa.

Thanks again,

CXC

I've used a Brooks-Plaubel Veriwide with the 47mm f8 lens. I am sorry to have to tell you this, but light fall-ff is a fact of life with a lens as wide as yours no matter what f-stop you use. Even at f16 this problem will be evident. You'll need to make adjustments in your darkroom. I do not believe that a center filter was ever made for the f8 lens; at least I couldn't find any evidence of one when I tried to find a filter. This problem drove me away from what I thought was otherwise a pretty nifty (though cranky) camera. If you want even light, you'll need to switch to either a newer superwide or panoramic camera (that has a lens that can be fitted with a center filter) or a Hasselblad camera with 38mm Boigon lens (that amazingly does not need a center filter). There may be other possiblilities for a camera without filter (e.g. the Mamiya 7 with 43mm lens, but I have not used this camera).

bob -- i am RIGHT NOW looking at a heliopan 40.5 yellow filter that i purchased from b&h (yellow 021). i also have several b+w 40.5 filters (about ten different ones actually as i root thru my bag here). my center filter, in fact, is a 43mm heliopan. it was purchased from either ken hansen or b&h. i think your list must not be complete.

Roger,

There are lots of Heliopan 40.5mm filters, 39mm filters, 37mm

filters and on down to 19mm filters.

i never said there weren't.

I said that there are no 40.5mm Heliopan center filters. heliopan

center filters start at 58mm.

But in 40.5 there are all kinds of Heliopan filters. It is a very

common and popular filter size for us.