Some insight on the Nikon FM3A and FM10

marty_elan

Shun, did I suggest otherwise?

By the way, I wrote my Doctoral thesis on the mechanical properties of polymeric materials. The title was "The Influence of Dissipative Heating on the Loss Factor of Viscoelastic Materials." Try to pick that one up with your chop sticks. I know, I know, that was uncalled for. I take it back.

Arnab, being slightly overheated is ok. As one of the moderators, what I usually try to do is to defuse any potential problems before it gets out of hand. Natually, some people agree with what I am doing and some don't. But hopefully people at least can see what I am attempting. A lot of my work is behind the scene too. Todd Peach and I use a lot of private e-mail to resolve situations. Most of that effort is not visible in the forum.

<em>"I am also looking at the F100 and F5." --Marty

Elan<br>

</em><br>

Then let me play devils advocate. I find the Nikon F5 and

FE2 make a great odd couple so the F5 and FM3a would also. You

know you want it. NAS demands that you buy them. Just reach for

your wallet and those warm credit cards ;-)<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Actually, there is also a brand new Nikon F6 at $2300 to be considered .... :-)

And Bernard, I have no idea whether you actually talk too much in real life, but you certainly have posted a lot to this thread ....

Seriously, Marty, since you didn't specify a price range nor the types of photography you are into, it is difficult to recomment anything concrete. You certainly have a number of options.

I don't want to spend more than $1,000 - $1,200 for a camera body. Even at this range it would be more than enough camera for me. For nearly 20 years I had 2 Ricoh XRPs and 14 lenses. I generally shot in aperture priority or full manual. I shot mostly landscape and nature scenes using slide film. When the cameras died a few months ago I decided I wanted to get rid of the ever so slow Canon G2 I had and move up to a DSLR. So I sold my lenses and the Canon on ebay and used some of the proceeds to buy the D70 outfit and Adobe PS. I am enjoying digital imaging, but I have a long ways to go to get the same "pop" I once did using film based cameras. So I still yearn for the comfort of film to get the fix I am not getting with digital at this time. I like film and want to get another 35mm film based camera. That is why I inquired of the FM3 and FM10.

Build quality issues aside (or however we percieve such things) the FM-10 is just about as basic a body that exists with a Nikon mount.

I've become use to things such as recieving viewfinder information like ADR or a digital aperture readout, and the shutter speed. Sometimes there just isn't time to take the face away from the viewfinder when you have to respond quickly & you're not sure what shutter speed and/or aperture you've selected.

On the other hand, I won a photographic award with a major arts and culture periodical in my city with an FM-10. It's certainly capable of taking great pictures.

With the kind of money that you would spend for a brand new FM-10 (with the *ahem* "modest" lens), you could pick up a used FM2N, and for another $100 you could pick up an F3 in nice shape.

Eric,

After going to my local camera store today, my head is spinning. Having looked at the FM3a, F100, N80 and a used F5 I really don't know which one to get. Fit wise they formed to my hands nicely. Capability wise they would all do what I need them to do, though the FM3a meter would take some getting used to to be able to dial in for shooting slide film. The F5 is a beast and I like the balance, but the F100 was nice too, but I worry about the plastic back.

Too many choices!

Marty, I have a few friends who bought D1Xs about 3 years back. When I bought my D100 a little more than 2 years ago, they didn't understand why I was still using film. It took me about a year to gradually transition to pretty much all digital. Now we are pretty close to the end of 2004, I can count in one hand the number of rolls of 35mm film I have used all year (i.e. within 5 rolls). I currently have an F5, F100, and an FE that are all sitting on the shelf doing nothing.

There are also people who continue to use both film and digital and there are people who shoot digital for a while, don't like it and switch back to film.

I have no idea exactly which type you belong to. If you are not sure, is there any rush to buy a film body quickly? If not, why not wait a while and see how badly you need a film body. There is always a chance that you could be like me and don't need a film body any more, after you get used to digital.

I strongly belive that film is being phased out and for most people, it is not a good idea to invest heavily on another film body any more. (I emphasis most people because there are always exceptions.) Moreover, it is a good idea to spend most of your budget on good lenses first and good bodies second. That may be not as true in the digital era as it used to be in the film era, but that is still something you should keep in mind, as we haven't discussed which lenses you have and are going to get. If you have extra $$ around, they might as well go towards some lenses.

Marty,

The reason why I asked is because it seems like you're only sticking to two (well now 3) camera bodies that can be bought brand new.

I think that there are a number of excellent camera bodies that can be bought brand new. An F3 would be a great selection (mirror lockup, interchangable viewfinders, extremely durable, ect).

<em>"Moreover, it is a good idea to spend most of your

budget on good lenses first and good bodies second." --Shun

Cheung<br>

</em><br>

My feeling is different here. I feel ones camera body

should equal ones lenses. Ether an inadequate camera or

lens can slow you down or even put you on the sideline.<br>

<br>

<em>"I strongly belive that film is being phased out and for

most people, it is not a good idea to invest heavily on another

film body any more." --Shun Cheung<br>

</em><br>

Back in late 2000 when I bought my F100 I wondered if I really

should spend money on another film camera. I still dont

know. Maybe I should have banked the money. Considering this, why

dont you buy an FE2 instead of an FM3a. The price of the FE2

has fallen and its quite a bargain. You loose the hybrid

shutter but carrying spare S-76 batteries is quite easy. If you

use flash and film as slow as 12 ISO or as fast as 1,000 ISO the

FE2s flash range is only 25~400 ISO. <br>

<br>

The Nikon FM3a despite its name is not an FM family camera.

It was misnamed by Nikon for marketing purposes. The FM3a and FE2

are sisters not cousins. Excepting the hybrid shutter they are

extremely similar mechanically. Unless you are an expedition

photographer youll get most of what you get in the FM3a in

an FE2. If you use a tripod and shoot in the range of 2~8 seconds

you get a bonus from the FE2 as it has manual shutter speeds in

this range. Also the FE2 has an electronic shutter (only

electronic) so manual shutter speeds are quarts timed.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

<em>"An F3 would be a great selection (mirror lockup,

interchangable viewfinders, extremely durable, ect)." --Eric

Bogaerts<br>

</em><br>

I bought an F3 for just these reasons. I bought it for macro and

bought a DW-4, 6x finder, M screen and other accessories. With

these you can get yourself into situations where the mirror lockup

is very useful or required. I bought the F3 since the F100 and the

F3 makes more sense to me now than the F100. Im not knocking

the F100, Im just thinking of the $1,229.95 (Ouch! Before all

the price breaks) could be money towards a Nikon D2H or D2X.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Recently I put this in the FM3A review and wish to share with you all:

I have used F601 for almost 10 years and found it very useful. But I just bought the FM3A as I am interested in mechanical body and it can operate even without batteries. It can also operate in extreme temp. That sounds nice to me. Besides its antique look is attractive. After I bought it, I found there are too much plastic parts that makes me query whether it will last for 10 or 20 years without service. Besides, my impression is it is very delicate and the metal is thin. When I turn the ISO ring and the +/- compensation ring, it is very fragile. Especially when I open the film chamber by pulling the rewind knob, I start worrying. The metal is thin and that's why it is not heavy. Furthermore, it is the first time I play with a manual camera. The shutter and the mirror rebound is so noisy and makes me anoxious. I wonder whether that shaky movement will blur the image when I take photos in slow shutter. But it may be my over worrying. The machine is so delicate and precious. In fact I have not yet taken a photo using this machine after I bought it last week. I definitely will try it very soon.

Any comments are welcome.

<em>"After I bought it, I found there are too much

plastic parts that makes me query whether it will last for 10 or

20 years without service." --R Cheng<br>

</em><br>

Since its mechanically almost identical to the FE2 save the

hybrid shutter, rest easy. Many FE2(s) sold in 1983 are still in

service and have never been repaired save for foam replacement. I

own three. The hybrid shutter is blend and technology thats

got good old fashioned antique quality. Anyway, replacement

shutters are available new.<br>

<br>

<em>"Besides, my impression is it is very delicate and the

metal is thin." --R Cheng<br>

</em><br>

OK, sell your FM3a and buy an F3THP. KEH.com has one in "Like

New" condition for just $1,669.00 (USD). If you compare a

light two seat sports car to a 9 passenger SUV you might consider

the sports car delicate also.<br>

<br>

<em>"But it may be my over worrying." --R Cheng<br>

</em><br>

Yes, you are worrying too much. The FM3a is a proven design. Take

it out and enjoy it or if it really doesnt please you then

you might consider a Nikon F3, F4, F5 or F6. The F3THP was

exaggeration for emphasis but if I were wealthy Id buy it.

My biggest worry with that camera would be concern over lack of

use.<br>

<br>

Im serious about the F-Series Nikons. Ill recommend

the F3 and F5. Im sure the F6 is a great camera but Ill

have to drive 65 miles to touch one.<br>

<br>

Consider this: if you had a Cosina Nikon FM-10 in your hands youd

probably feel a little nauseous.<br>

<br>

I like well built cameras. I still have one of my Nikon F2As

bodies. I hate the concepts of depreciation and obsolescence. Ill

bet you do too. Did I worry about the plastic with the "NIKON"

on the front and around the bayonet with my first Nikon FM2? Yes.

Rest easy, if you treat it as a precision instrument it should be

working fine in 20 years. In 20 years your biggest problem will

be finding someone to process your film.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.