More on SB 600 - 800

errol

For me, the SB800 is well worth the extra cost simply for full manual control and the fact

that I can use it in auto mode (not TTL) on just about any camera with a hot shoe. Works

great on my F3. I plan to add additional SB600s as remote units and use the SB800 in

commander mode.

I haven't compared but the SB800 recycles fast especially with the fifth battery added. I

find that in a soft box the SB800 isn't all that powerful, even on full manual when used as

a key light. Today I was shooting at f5.6 ISO 200 with a D70 with this setup. I would have

like to have been at f8, but the SB800 couldn't get there.

I use a Vivitar 285HV quite a bit mostly on manual mode. It works great. I am reluctant to

put it on the hotshoe. I wish it had smaller manual steps as that would make it more

useful. In fact, with the 285 synced via PC cord and adapter to the N70, it should trigger

the SB800 in manual mode wirelessly. The SB800 should be set to SU-4 wireless mode and

the mode set to manual, I think, for it to all work correctly. That's my two light set up until

I can pick up the extra SB600s. Alternately you could trigger both flashes wirelessly with

the D70 internal flash set to manual (1/16 or less I would guess) by adding an optical

peanut slave to the 285. I will have to try that to confirm it works.

The histogram on the D70 is a great flash meter! A couple of shots and I'm there. I do like

film, but flash work is so much easier with the instant feedback of digital.