Artifacts from Nikkor lens -- Help!

tom hudson

I have an AF Nikkor 28-85, f/3.5-4.5 lens that I've had for a while. I

took some photos of the aurora borealis a couple of days ago with my

D100 and the images all have a strange circular artifact at the

center. Looks like some sort of light interference pattern (see image

at http://klanky.com/images/LensArtifact.jpg).

The first time I saw this, coincidentally, was an aurora image I shot

with this same lens, but on a 6006 body shooting film. I had the image

put on a Photo CD and when I looked at it, I figured the Photo CD guys

had screwed it up. Apparently not!

Anybody seen anything like this before? Any ideas what the cause might

be? Suggestions appreciated!<div>00A5d5-20418584.jpg.b801c3e9c5c88c342cc537170a06168e.jpg</div>

Do you have any filter on this lens? I'm guessing not, but it's worth a shot...

It looks to me like an internal diffraction pattern from something on the interior of the lens that would be projecting rearward (in the retrofocus area mebbe?)

Definitely odd...I've never seen that before.

I have never seen an Aurora, but I do spend a lot of time at the office with nothing to do but browse the internet. Your question reminded me of something I read a few days ago. I don't know if this was the original page I read this, but it's along the same lines. Here is a clip from http://www.keweenawimage.com/auroraphoto.html

Begin pasted text:

With my Nikon lenses I have found that long exposures result in concentric circles showing up in the middle of the images when I use a filter of any kind. Nikon says this is due to the high reflectivity of the aurora. Thanks to the University of Alaska forecaster, the explanation follows. "These are interference fringes due to the parallel faces of the filter and to the narrow spectral emission at 5577 Angstroms in the aurora. That green, atomic oxygen emission line is the strongest emission in the aurora near our film and eye peak sensitivity, so it shows up first when there is any device in the optical path which sorts out the spectral emissions." So, don't use filters!

Maybe Newton's rings. But where? If it were a lens separation, it should not focus the pattern at the focal plane. Generally Newton's rings are not nearly so circular. The light source must be monochromatic (single color), otherwise you would have "rainbow" effects here. Some aurorae are almost monochromatic so I would look to see if the interference patterns are only on those pics. Also, is the pattern always centered on the frame? On the film shots are the rings on the negative? If not, wouldn't rule out the lab screwing it up.

@Will: I have a Tiffen Sky-1A on there. I'll try a shot or two with that off and see what I get.

@Frank: I would have thought so, but the same thing showed up on a film exposure on my 6006. At least, on the Photo CD version of it. I'll see if I can dig up the negative on that and verify that it's actually on the film.

@Tristan: I've only seen it in low-light, long exposure images (two different aurora borealis shots, by coincidence). Both were at the 28mm end of the operational range.

@Les: I took the filter off and looked through the lens at a bright light, there was nothing obvious visible. However, looking at some photos on the Web regarding Newton's rings, which I hadn't heard of before, it sure does look like that may be what's going on. I wonder if two of the elements are touching at the wide-angle end of the lens's range, causing the rings. I will run some tests ASAP.

THANK YOU for all the responses; I'll report back after making some test exposures.

Good heavens! You guys answer so quickly I had three more responses by the time I finished composing my response!

I think Darren has nailed it -- the ONLY time I've seen these rings is on aurora photos, and I have the Sky-1A filter on all the time to protect the lens (D'OH!!!) Too bad there's no aurora activity tonight; I'd love to get out and test the theory. I will do some general long exposures and see if anything turns up with no aurora in the scene.

OK, I went out and shot some 10-second exposures of the night sky, with and without the filter, and with the lens at 28mm and a bit higher, to test the theory that the optics were touching at 28mm or something else was out of whack. I downloaded the images and cranked up the contrast to see if there was evidence of the artifacts. There was none on any of the exposures.

Soooo.... I'm going to keep my eye out for northern lights and the next time they show up, I'll have the filter off the lens. In fact, I've taken it off and will leave it off. I was told years ago with my first SLR to get a Sky-1A filter, put it on and leave it on to protect the lens. I wish I hadn't been told that.

When I get more photos, I'll report back and post them. I _REALLY_ appreciate the quick responses from all of you. I just found this forum today but will be joining up.

@Will: Go to http://astronomy.klanky.com, I've slapped a few images up there for your amusement. I have to go dig through my archives for more, and when I get some free time I'll add them with some more descriptions. You'll see the circular artifact on the two aurora images.

About 15 years ago, I found a similiar "artifact" on one of my aurora photos (taken with my Nikon FM2 and a 50mm f1.8 lens). At first I thought it was a printing error, but it appeared on my negative too. I thought it was the strangest thing at the time, especially since I had taken a lot of star trail photos with the same set-up and never had a pattern like that show up. Good to know it has happened to other people too. Next time I get to shoot auroras, I'll try it with and without the UV filter.