20D announcement and 10-22 wide, and 17-85 IS lens!

randy_almquist

I don't think the D70 has anything to do with the 20D pricing. Since Canon are replacing the 10D, I'd fully expect for the 20D to come in at or lower than the original price of the 10D, which was around $1500.

My guess is that the D70 isn't worrying Canon very much. The Digital Rebel with an 18-55 lens now sells for under $900, less than the high end small sensor digicams and about $300 less than the D70 with the similar (to the average consumer) 18-70 lens. Canon will now have a competing lens (17-85) and it will have image stabilization.

I think Nikon are the ones who need to worry. If they don't have a replacement for the D100 in the wings and ready to launch soon, my guess is that the 20D will start eating into their potential sales. A lot of consumers count pixels, and 8.2 beats 6.3 any day on that score!

Canon is a publicly-traded company here in the US (symbol CAJ). It's latest report revealed

a 78% year over year growth in digital cameras and sales of something like US $3 billion in

camera equipment sales. Looking at the annual report reveals a well-run company that is

growing by leaps and bounds in revenue and profitability.