W/NW Stage pic.

jim_jeblee

Working on stage photo skills, pics for a friend. This time from the

seats, they did not want photos taken but said ok if no flash was

used and I did not move around. A few pics were blurry from me & many

more due to actor movement, I'm going to try a faster lense & a lot

more practice. Fuji 1600 (I pref NPH), M6 90 2.8Elmarit-M @ 2.8 1/60,

some other pics @ 1/30 were much worse. This looks ok @ 5x7 but falls

apart larger than that. (scan from neg Epson3200)

Any hints?

Thanks

Jim<div>009VzI-19669384.jpg.bf7d52faabc100e3c2a28608b8530181.jpg</div>

Shame on me! I have a monopod for use w/ my R stuff & did not bring it, I thought I could brace against the next row of seats but that did not get me high enough! Bad planning, I was not expecting to be able to shoot.

I don't like the corner placement of the tripod socket, can anyone suggest a plate/ adapter to move it to the center, better still one w/ a hand grip? I like the Tom A. one but it does not seem to have a center tripod mount.

I'm working on an upgrade to a 90 2.0..

Thanks a lot for hints!

Jim

Yup, you need a f/2.0 or faster lens. At least the 90/2, maybe the 75/1.4 if you're feeling really rich. You will need to be very certain of your RF calibration.

This is where I use my Topcon Super D with an off-brand T-mount 135mm f/1.8 lens. (My seats are often too far for the Topcor 85/1.8, but I bring it as well.) It is damn hard to get the SLR accurately focused, even though the screen is plenty bright. You just have very little DOF to work with! I use Fuji NPZ at 800.

I tried this sort of photography with my Canon IIF, it was even more frustrating than the SLR. Plus, the longest fast lens I have in LTM is the Serenar 85/2.0, the 100 and 135 are f/3.5, too darned slow. (I think the IIF also has RF calibration problems, the IV-SB2 I now use is better calibrated. It also has a better finder.)

Note that Leica doesn't make an M-mount 135/2 lens because the RF would not be accurate enough. The do make R-mount 90/2 and 180/2.