Slight tint in M3 viewfinder

jeff_lu

Hi, I recently decided to get into Leica M's for low-light photography and purchased an M3

online. I know that Leicas are supposed to have bright viewfinders, and mine definitely is

brighter than my Contax G2, but when I look through it at a white wall or a blue sky, I

notice a slight blue-gray tint (the sky turns a little bluer). I have no previous experience

with M's and don't know a local store where I could check others. So, is this tint normal?

Thanks

The early finders were put together using Canadian balsam, which usually (depending on climate conditions) deteriorates with age and ends up a dingy yellowish tint. An additional feature of this old balsam is rangefinder separation, which appears like spots or dust in the finder. Late in the M3/2 run (about 1.1 million and above) production of M cameras used better cements (which do not have this tendency). The slight blue tint in your M3 finder, however, sounds perfect. Either you have a very late M3 or it's likely been repaired.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Most of the M2s,M3s, and M4s that I have seen have a bluish tint. I think it's something that happens with age. They are a little darker than my recent cameras (M4-P and M7). However, it does not seem to be a problem in practical use, since the RF patch functions normally. I wouldn't worry about it.

The blueish tint has nothing to do with age. It was a deliberate design decision at the

time. As others have noted, the VF was tinted blue and the RF patch was tinted gold in

order for the RF patch to be more visible.<p>

You can see this colour tint clearly if you hold the camera (facing you) at arms length in

front of a window. The small circle in the RF window will appear yellow, while the

viewfinder eyepeice will be pale blue.<p>

Leica dropped the idea with later models. Obviously a benefit in doing so was a slightly

brighter finder.<p>

FWIW, see the M3 topic I have in the Leica FAQ I maintain at:<p>

<a href="http://nemeng.com/leica/002be.shtml">

http://nemeng.com/leica/002be.shtml</a>

I HATE that blue tint. One major improvement in the M4 (IMHO) was an uncolored viewfinder. Incidentlaly, Zeiss was even worse than Leica in that the Contax viewfinders were literally GREEN for maximum contrast with PEACH rangefinder patches. The very last of the IIA and IIIA had clear VF and were much easier to use.