Linhof617sIII vs FujiGX617 vs ArtPanarama

joe_chiu1

Hi, first of all, I would like to say thank you to all of you who

give me so many advices on the trustworthiness of B&H and Robertwhite

and how to mail order things from them. May I ask one more question?

Besides the Linhof and Fuji, I know there's another 617camera called

Art Panorma. It's a Japanese brand which produces both 617 and 624

cameras. I've saw one from Hong Kong and it costs about 2500US dollars

(body with Nikkor 90mm lenes). Is it a good choice? What kind of

lenes can it be used? Can the Linhof 90mmf5.6 be used on it? Thanks

very much for your reply. Joe.

The Artpan camera is much clunkier to use than the Fuji or

Linhof cameras. The Artpan is a quasi view camera but with no

movements. The Nikkors are excellent lenses. Whatever 90mm

lens you go with you will need a centerweighted filter to get even

exposure from center to edge. If you look around you might turn

up a true 6x17 view camera, the V-Pan Mark III which lets you use

any lens from 72mm out to 1200mm -- if it comes with the full set

of rails and bellows.

I've just purchased an ArtPan 617 with Schneider 90mmf8 and centre filter from Robert White here in the UK. You can use lenses between 75 and 120mm in theory, but the fixed viewfinder is designed for 90mm only. The camera also comes with masks for 6x12, strap and a focussing screen.

First impressions are good, it is very well made, sturdy and simple to use. To load a film you have to remove the whole of the back which will take some getting used to. I'll be able to comment further when I receive the first films back from the lab.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the results from this camera/lens are incredible. It took a while to get used to using the camera. Removing the back to change film was clumsy at first but I soon got over this. The first few films had intrusions into the corner where some of the edging was not finished well. A scalpel sorted that out.

I would definately recommend this camera as a cheaper(?) alternative to the Fuji and Linhof. The 617 format is outstanding.

Rick - how does the loading work? Can you change film in the field, or do you have to have a darkroom/changing bag? I'd guess that you start to see the film if you pull the leader across that wide a back. Are you using a centre filter? and how do you plan to process/scan/use the results?

Sorry for so many questions - but this is an interesting camera.

Andrew, yes loading in the field is no problem. The whole of the camera back is removed by undoing two stiff metal clamps. I use a LowePro Orion AW which allows me to rest the camera in one side (lens facing down) and drop the back in the other side. The film is loaded as with any other MF camera across the spools, however, dont wind on too far or, as you say, the film would become exposed. Reattach the back, slide the ground glass screen to one side to reveal a window to view the frame numbers on the backing paper. Wind on to frame 3, then 6, 9 and 12. That's it, quite simple.

Yes I do use a centre filter and it's definately needed. It's a Schneider IIIb matched to the 90mmf8 lens. I tried a few rolls without the filter and the edge darkening is quite dramatic. I now rate Velvia at ISO16 with the centre filter attached. It has a front filter thread of 86mm so I need to buy a Lee 0.6 ND Grad to cope with it.

I use pro labs in the UK for processing, it's worth it. I'm going to experiment scanning using an A4 flatbed and light box but only for screen resolution , I have no plans to print from them. Ultimately, I would like to submit my trannies to a travel library and maybe pay for my trips. I also shoot 6x7 on Mamiya 7s and RB67.

I've had more transparencies back from the lab since I last posted and I'm amazed at the results. I've taken the next 6 months off work and plan to tour Europe in my old Land Rover and with my ArtPan, I can't wait.

I hope this has been of interest.