cheap fisheye options?

nick_w.

I'm interested in finding the cheapest fisheye lens for Nikon mount. I don't care about the

quality of the lens. I just want the fisheye look and I want to pay very little for it. Are there

some Russian lenses out there? Has anybody had any success with those fisheye adapters

that you screw onto the end of your regular lens? I would prefer lenses that approximate

the look of about 8-12mm. I really want to pay less than $100. Thanks.

The Zenitar 16mm is f2.8. I've used one on my FE2 and it's a lot of fun but at certain times I see a lot of flare and ghosts when the sun is just out of view of the frame. As long as the sun is far away I find the images to be quite sharp.

The lens is pretty nice mechanically and for the price it's a great deal.

You want a 'circular' fisheye. To have a round picture in your rectangular frame, you will need a 0.42x over a 28mm lens. Over that (35 to 50mm), the circle will exceed the frame and it will look like a huge vignetting. Under that (24mm and less), it will only make the circle smaller.

Most of these devices are poor quality but on a good fixed focal 28mm close down to F11 they can be fun. The cheapest real one is the Peleng but it is more than $100.

8-12mm? so... circular fisheye? you could get the peleng lens. I have no experience with that one. The sigma is an option for a circular, although much more expensive. If you're willing to go for the 16mm (full frame) look, the zenitar is your best bet, hands down. hands down.