Wasserman Crank on MP

jason_b.

There seems to be less clearance between the knob and the indent in the top plate on my MP than my M3. The Leica add-on crank is completely open on that side and seems to fit my M3 ok (though I'm not going to use it until I modify it), the other cranks in existence go clear around the knob. The one Photo Products sells for $99 on their website (and Photovillage sells for $119 on theirs) was designed post-MP so it _should_ fit either. I guess it depends on how thick the Wasserman crank is.

What puzzles me about all these cranks is why they are made with a setscrew that goes toward the knob, as the retentive force is only at the point of contact of the setscrew and 180 degrees across from it. I can't understand why these cranks weren't made with a split in the screw end and the screw running 90 degrees to where it is now. That way as the screw was tightened it would apply nearly even force all the way around the knob (like a hose clamp) and there would be no need for plastic plugs to prevent damage to the knob from the screw digging in.

There is a definite difference in spacing re: rewind knob on the M2/M3 vs. the new MP -- clearance is much tighter on the new MP.

But bear in mind that even among the M2/M3 cameras, and among the latest MP cameras, there are variations in the knob diameters (no Brits smirking please!) -- this is a knurled surface, not precision machining.

The Leica and the Photo Equip (formerly GMP) crank should fit most old M cameras as well as the MP, unless yours is one with significant sample variation. You must try it and find out for yourself!

I'm not sure how much less elegant it would be, designed so the setscrew doesn't have to dig into the knob. Maybe you're right, because as you say, it does work. Or, perhaps it's because a threaded lateral hole and splitting the ring would be more costly to machine than just a transverse threaded hole, thus cutting into profits.

I have one that fits fine on the old M3 I inherited just fine. unfortunately, it got

jammed on another M3, one bought second hand here. upon closer

inspection, I see this "new" one seems to have had a couple of parts replaced

with MP parts. the rewind lever is the new, shorter M4-MP style, and my

Wasserman crank got stuck on the rewind knob, which had clearly been

replaced. (maybe some other bits too, but the camera works beautifully, and

I'm happy with the deal I got an a great shooter) anyway, evidence indicates

a difference in either dimensions ( or tolerance?) so I suggest you get a

rewind lever specific for the MP for M2-3 knobs. (heh, heh...he said "knobs"...)