where the clamps bit down (and obviously ruined those images in the

process). Is there a correct way to load this 120 film, so that the

ends are free from any exposures? I did get 12 frames on each of the

rolls, but I have noticed that while winding the film to the next

frame the crank is a bit stiff (not sure this has anything to do with

the errant frames on the roll). Any thoughts on this will greatly

appreciated!

Thanks!

You can download a manual for the basically identical 2.8 FX from <a href="http://

www.rollei.de/en/index.html">the factory website</a>. Select "Service", then

"Downloads". If the film is properly loaded there sould be ample room for clamping. In that

case the lab should be blamed. Regards, Ferdi.

1. Did you align the arrows with the dots? The dots are at the top of the frame, not the middle as in other cameras.

<p>

2. Here is my comment from the TLR review in the equipment section of photo.net: <p><i>"Another significant issue with the newer GX/FX'es is a bug/quirk with the supply side brake. This is an oddly shaped, curved metal plate on the side where you insert a fresh roll of film, and is used by the camera to brake or arrest unwanted motion of the supply side spool. This allows for tightly stretched film in the gate. For whatever reason, the metal brake has a plastic 'sticker' on it that reduces the friction between the spool flange and the brake. However, this sticker pretty much wears out after a few rolls of film - maybe a dozen. I spoke to Martin Arndt of Marflex about this, and he told me that he did not know why they put in the sticker, that it is not really needed, and to take it off if it is getting shredded. So I did, but this results in *much* rougher wind-on. It is not that the wind on is stiffer, it is rough and jerky and needs quite a bit of force.

<p>

So being an engineer and having got the itch to fix this thing, I bent the metal tab a little downwards, i.e., away from the spigot. This fixed things to the point where the wind on is as smooth as before, and I don't have to worry about a stupid plastic sticker that would self-destruct and could potentially cause plastic pieces to get in into the innards of the camera. (BTW, don't attempt this modification yourself if you are not comfortable messing with that new $3500 FX or whatever TLR, and if you do, don't hold me responsible if you screw it up.)"</i>

<p>

3. I have not seen any vignetting with my camera.

Hmmm ... Thanks Vijay. I'll have to check the camera to see if this "sticker" thing is just getting in the way. Am I lining up the arrows? Perhaps not! I didn't know there were arrows to be lined up. I insert the film into the receiving spool, crank the film winder a few times to make sure the film is taut, close the back up and then continue winding until it STOPS. That's frame 1 (I think!). Now you have got me thinking. Will tool around tomorrow and let you all know my findings.

Thanks!

They deleted the automatic film loading in the GX so you need to align the start mark on the paper backing with the mark on the camera before closing things up and winding on. The start line is marked on the paper at a standard distance so the camera will always start frame 1 in the correct place.

In the older models, there is a roller that feels when "paper + film" is wound through it and starts the frame counter. Its superb when its working right though it can be finicky if the camera is overdue for service. Mine finally would not load anymore so its off for a holiday in California right now. It wound three rolls in a row straight though!