Telephoto lense tips/help

alicia_fedele

Hi

I jsut bought a sigma 70-300MM F4.0 lense. (I know its not that

fast) I am just looking for "tips" on using it.

It takes a little getting use to.

I tried to get a couple (from a distance) hugging, and it came out

blurred(they were moving.. and add camera shake.)

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

If that's a constant aperture lens, then f/4 isn't bad, but is f/4 the aperture at 300mm? The remedies are obvious: it's difficult to hand hold a long lens unless you are in very bright light and can use a fast shutter speed. You must face facts: it's extremely difficult to get certain shots with certain lenses under less than ideal conditions. Hand held, with a tripod or other rest, a camera must always be as steady as possible, and you cannot freeze movement at slow shutter speeds.

A tripod is preferred. Next in line would be a monopod, best used if you can also brace against a tree or something. A beanbag can be used to steady a long lens if you have a handy place to rest the bag. Lastly, if none of the above are possible use fast films so you can use faster shutter speeds.

That sigma's probably a 5.6 @ 300mm, or you've got very big arms to hand hold a 300 f4 :). It's alot like my Canon 75-300, very light and the front element comes out quite a bit @ 300mm.

Tips that I've picked up, asides from faster shutter speeds, and using a tripod, is use your head. Push the viewfinder up against your forehead and the camera back against your cheek. This is a lot easier if you don't wear glasses like I do, but still doable.

I also usually try to make sure the front of the lense is steady, holding the lense very close to the front and putting my elbow or forearm on something solid, as the front of this lense is probably almost 1 foot away from the camera, and very prone to shake.

Talking about using a lens hand held

Never go slower than:

19 to 28mm-1/30. 35 to 50mm-1/60. 70 to 105mm-1/125. 135 to 200mm-1/250. 300 to 500mm-1/500 and so on.

So if you use it a 70 mm you can shot at 1/125 (better 1/250) and at 300mm at 1/500 (better 1/1000)

Congratulations you've got a good lens.

Hi Alicia

<BR>I still get a LOT of dud blurry shots from using slow tele lenses.I use a digital camera so i expect i would try harder if i was paying for each attempt but still....it is a very difficult thing to be consistantly good at.

<BR>The only tip i know of that hasn't been mentioned is to hold the very front of the lens for a steadier grip.But i think this might be impossible with the lens you have (?) because as soon as you touch the front it will bump the focus off