lawrence_palumbo

im going to florida from 5/24-5/28/2002. i have seen the work of a

couple of photographers who made some images of burrowing owls a few

years ago in brian picolo park in ft lauderdale, fl. does anyone

know if the burrows there are still active? i want to visit the area

but dont want to waste precious time getting there if the area is

inactive. also, if anyone wants to comment on current birding

conditions, feel free. i am planning on visiting loxahatchee,

wakodahatchee, st augustine and possibly somewhere in everglades np.

thanks. larry

The St Augustine Alligator farm is definitely past peak for the egrets with the first chicks starting to be full grown. however, they nested so early, some will have a second brood, and there are some still showing mating behavior and some brand new egret chicks. There are also new tri color heron chicks, and the cattle egret chicks haven't hatched yet. So it's still worth a visit and will be for at least a month. My bet is that its too late for burrowing owls in So FLorida. I heard that the chicks in Sanibel were hatching several weeks ago, but you'd be better off checking with someone down there.

If you are going to the Everglades, you may want to go to Marco Island. There are numerous burrowing owls on the island. Many of the open lots have perches set up and the sites are cordoned off by rope or yellow tape but you can get within 10 feet of them without distubing them as they are used to lots of onlookers. I have a friend who has one living under his second floor deck. Try Winterberry Dr. just down from the 7-11. Also San Marco Road just East of Barfield, also Hawii Rd. On Hawii Road which is a very short road there are quite a few Gopher Tortoises. Good Luck!

Hey Mike, due to forecasts of poor weather for the 4 days i will be on the east coast, i am entertaining the idea of shooting in the ft. myers area. the forecasts are much more promising. is there any locational information you can provide on those burrowing owls in the ft. myers area? thanks. Larry

• 1 month later...