Quantum 2x2 vs. Digital Camera Battery

Rick Waller

Need to replace my Quantum Turbo Z. Anyone have any hands on

experience with either of these batts? The DCB is less expensive and

lighter weight; the Quantum seems to be more powerful, according to

the specs.

Both of these look like good choices since they can power both my Sb-

800 and my D2h.

These devices operate under totally different principles. The Quantum 2+2 is an high-voltage power supply (~325 volts) which connects directly to the capacitors in the SB-800 through the front connector. A full charge takes less than 2 seconds, and in typical automatic use, the recycle time is practically instantaneous. You still need AA batteries to run the display and various functions.

The DCB basically replaces the low-voltage batteries in the battery compartment. You get a somewhat faster recycle time and more pops, but the improvement is modest. There is an insert which fits into the battery compartment, which is inconvenient to use.

Of the two, the Quantum is by far the best choice for events and weddings.

Edward - thanks for the reply. I am confused by what you say in your answer though. While I really am not familiar with the DCB product (it was recommended to me by a friend), it was my understanding that the DCB connects to my SB800 via a cable similar to the one I use to connect my Quantum Turbo Z - that is, to the front of the SB800. In fact, looking at the necessary cable on the B&H site (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=305750&is=REG)

it sure does look exactly like the Quantum hookup and the blurb mentions that the cable includes 4 AA batts to put in the SB800 to run the lcd.

Please don't misunderstand my question, but are you quite sure you are correct in your description of the DCB?

You could be right about the DCB unit. The connectors look the same as for the Quantum. The description is a little vague about "high voltage."

In any case, I have the Quantum 2+2, which works well for me, with either Nikon, Quantum or Photogenic flash units. The only quirk I've found is that the charge indicator is inaccurate if you interrupt the charging process, showing full charge too soon. There's no provision for deep discharge, as with the Turbo Z.

My Turbo Z has a high self-discharge rate, and has just enough capacity for a typical wedding and reception. I've never used more than half the charge on the 2+2.