Feedback on Mennonite photos

ken_dunn1

Nobody seems to be able to answer my question... If he wasn't doing anything illigal, then why was he arrested? Not liking what somebody is doing, whether it goes against your beliefes or not is NOT grounds for having somebody arrested. If that were the case, all of you disgusting smokers would be arrested for smoking in public.

If it IS in fact illigal in canada to take pictures of people under the age of 18 in a public place, then so be it. Any REAL answers here?

• 5 years later...

<p>A few years ago I was in Kansas assisting following the Greensburg tornado. I worked closely with some Mennonite folks and was very impressed with them; character, work ethic, etc. I used to say they looked like they were working hard even while standing still. <br>

There was one of them and his son I came to know well. One day I asked if I could take a picture of him and his son. He responded, saying that they wouldn't pose for me but would not mind if I took a picture of them randomly as they were just walking along or working. <br>

Does anyone know what it is the Amish (and apparently some Mennonite) believe about photographs?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Tim</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi Tim,<br>

We live across the street from a Mennonite farm in Pennsylvania. We've been told that the "plain people" believe that posing for photos is an act of pride, which is biblically sinful. And like all people, they may feel that it is rude to be photographed by a stranger without permission (anger is the result of a sense of violation or intrusion, of having something taken away from you.)<br>

In the (very conservative) Amish and Old Order Mennonite churches, children are not yet baptized and therefore are not accountable to follow the religious strictures. While they have some freedom of choice, I NEVER would ask children to violate their parents' beliefs ("Spare the rod, and spoil the child" could come into play).<br>

If I needed a shot of an Amish child, I'd hire a model and buy a suit of Amish clothes from a tourist shop.<br>

"Brandon's Dad"</p>