a forum suggestion?

If we could stay on topic, it would be great. I'm sure Matt isn't looking for suggestions on how to set up a separate chat room on the web. He feels that there is enough interest here, among this community, to warrant a sub-forum. It's clear to me, and with the responses in those threads and this, that I think it would fly. It works in other forums and news groups and can't see why you wouldn't want to experiment with drawing a larger audience and keeping the posts that bother some separated from the typical "what third party lens should I buy for my M6 because I spent so much money on a box that holds the film that i can't afford glass" chat.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. There are plenty of OT posts, loosely related to our topic, that get to stand anyway without some "OT category." What you're really asking is to make it OK for you to continue using this as a political chat forum, and I have repeatedly told you (matt m, et al) that this is not cool, that it is against photo.net policy, that it is against the policy of this forum, that it almost always deteriorates into stupid childish crap, and that it takes moderator time to delete.

<p>

If you want to discuss "anything you want" on the internet, please do so on the camera operators forum that you mentioned. Doing so here is not allowed.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

I personally dislike the OT posts that have nothing to do with photography and are focused mainly on politics (what else?).

If you want to engage in this type of conversation on the photo discussion boards, you should head over to the public newsgroups. Those things are littered with those OT posts.

Those are perfect when the need arises for a good rant.

donald jr.

are you saying that internet posts by some silly guy like me 'make' you do things in life like not want to participate??? sad that one has that little control over one's life. i don't let any person but me affect what i do, how i do it, how i feel/react etc. a good mantra for life i think.

if you're still in toronto, i'm having another show this december. c'mon down, i'll buy you a beer.

m

So the freeway is congested, making you consider other routes, but when a proposal to build another lane to free things up and put the appropriate traffic in their lanes, you still moan and complain! I remember the same talk for w/nw threads...

Good one Martin..isnt that the truth....

There is a famed sociologist who is apparently world renowned ( I merely read the article briefly detailing current books, forgive me as her name I cannot recall, but the theory I do) where she equated the future of the United States with the fall of the Roman Empire.

She also stated the next world war would be one of religion.

Interesting book, apparently....she has written 2 other books that also apparently "predicted" if I can say that, current sociological problems and events in world affairs.

I am making it sound goofy, but she is no "sooth-sayer" but an academic who was nominated for the Nobel at one point for her work, I believe...

On an off note ;-) I recall reading where nostradamus (sp?) the self proclaimed profit and personal counsel under the last Russian Czar Nicholas II, wrote many of his "visions"....

He wrote specifically that the third world war would begin "after the fall of the twin iron giants of a country led by an ignorant/uneducated leader"....other things as well I cannot exactly remember at the moment...am writing off top of my head...war would be of religion as well....

Whatever...FWIW..;-)

Is it that the political and religious oriented thread on the murder

of Theo van Gogh remains because it allows the opportunity for

something to be sold? At the moment anyway, the thread is lined

to the side and bottom with ads for Vincent van Gogh prints and

posters. In the midst of discussion of a tragedy which is a

potential threat to world peace, free enterprise marches on.

Pardon me while I board this train.

Robert Capa is a revered photographer, shot with a rangefinder, which is a also the design of a certain popular Leica model. He was also very political. he was literally kicked out of Hungary for protesting the fascist government there. He went on to discover photography as his way of fulfilling his mission in life.

As a great war photographer he did take sides. He sided with the Spanish fighting against Franco, and with the allies against the Nazis. He was Jewish and was very excited to go to the newly founded state of Israel to shoot there.

Surely politics plays a role in photography. Everything is about context. Our missions as photographers to give our own unique perspective on the world. If politics enters the equation, so be it. As members of the same Leica users community I think politics is fair game if it is discussed within the context. A moderator who simply deletes a thread without explaining why is not really moderating are they? They are arbitrating.

Having said that, I sympathise with the moderator, what a job!

Maybe we could have a thread about what the pros and cons are for using a Leica to shoot pictures of (pResident) Bush with. Is the fact that there is the leader of a junta occupying the White House, a harbinger of the rebirth of photojournalism. Will the coming unravelling of American democracy give us new and wonderful opportunities to document this transformation with our film based old fashioned M6s and IIIgs?

What is the role of Leica cameras in the new post modern world of urban warfare and computer generated coup d'etats? Can we use our cameras to wake people up?

What would Robert Capa be doing, sitting at home typing comments to an online forum? Would he be shooting digital or film or video? Would he have a web page?

I know HCB was pretty disgusted with modern life.