a forum suggestion?

i particpate in another online forum for camera operators. one of the

categories is 'off topic.' what this does is allows guys to rant

about anything they want. right now we're having some nice and

friendly discussions about the present state of the USA.

would an 'off topic' category in the leica forum help keep people from

getting the boot (like last night) and help keep 'on topic' threads

clear from anything of that nature? apart from verbal assault and

anything illegal, it could be an 'anything goes' category and those

that complain about some of the 'off topicness' that some threads

possess, can be happy and skip it all.

whaddaya think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the present state of Canada?

would an OT category help? no, I don't think it would...based on the nonsense that has gone on. just my 2 cents adjusted to the falling US $ and rising CDN $ which hurts CDN manufacturers and the sale of CDN natural resources.

Leica photography is the point of the forum, safety valves for OT rants are required at each users' home.

bill, sure we could talk about the present state of canada's economy. not that great, i know. but i'm suggesting a place where those in this community that want to discuss these things, can. i'm just making reference to a thread started in this other forum by somebody from L.A. today.

oh and bill, can you send me an email with all the toronto leica-nuts addresses in it? my email was wiped out after our meeting, so all address are gone. maybe you have a sent mail in you cache with all the addresses attached at the top?

I think Jeff Lu is on the right track with his suggestion of "lets do it."

There are plenty of free resources out there for setting up a web forum. People who think the moderation here is too restrictive could set up a forum where anything goes. I'm surprised that no one's done it before . . .

; )

c'mon bob! you know the characters in this leica group are different from those found in the other forums. there's more life here. it feels like an online community, more than a forum with just some random people popping in to post a question then leaving.

jamie, i was making reference to kevin mendenhall getting suspended for a thread he started last night (or the night before)

oh jamie, i think you read me wrong. that 'other forum' i made mention of, is a camera operators forum i particpate in. not photo.net

i had also referenced in another line someone getting the boot. hope this makes sense. this 'someone' is kevin mendenhall.

mike, i know what you're saying, but i don't think it'd fly. not too convenient i'd think. unless it were a part of p.net and linked to the forum.

Hi Matt,

I'm up for it but let's not dance around the subject; it will be an "I

hate Bush, it's the Republicans fault", and all-around

anti-American hangout. All fine and good for some here but I

suspect the vitriol(sp?) that will be generated will resemble that

which got Kevin removed and was the end of the U.L.G.

Your (and the moderators) call.

Best regards,

Frank M.

hi frank,

i don't think it would turn into that at all. this morning i posted a link that i (and many others) found really funny. it was an ebay complaint. the seller had shipped the purchased goods to the buyer in soiled diapers. it's off topic, but it provides a laugh and maybe some caution, as there are many forumers who make purchases from ebay.

the thread was deleted an hour or so later.

You could probably convince the PN powers to make a "OT" forum somewhere on the site. And for that matter, you can post most whatever you want in the "General Photography (non-archived)" forum.

But as for making a "Leica specific OT area" just for members of this forum? Not likely to happen. At least I'd be suprised if it did.

josh,

who would we make this appeal to? you maintain this forum, but are you in charge of layout and category choices? we have sooo many categories down there. i just looked and there's a 'testing' category and an 'uncategorized' category. seems a bit odd.

anyways, if you could pass on the appropriate person to address this to, maybe we could get the category and keep it in the family.

cheers,

The answer to "What's so special about the Leica Forum?", Bob, is that this is the only forum on this site which is actually about photography! Which sometimes includes reference to those parts of the world which touch photography and are touched by it.

So if there were to be an "OT" or a "rant" category it would only work well within the Leica Forum. Look at the No Words forum. Whole days go by with no entries. It was a spinoff from the LPF, which still generates three or four good ones a day.

Realistically though, someone like Kevin should take over the ULF rubric and set up elsewhere. We'd find it, and use it. Frank Meeker: the right wing would more than hold it's own, as they did on Petronio's site.

That damn Canada/Jesusville thing! I wish it would disappear; it just encourages intervention and interference.