Bare bulb with umbrella

mike_shaffer

How are you planning on positioning the head/ , pointing into the bowl or parallel to the

the rim/ The first will just be wastefully inefficient and I don't really think you'll get a

change in light quality over a standard umbrella. a. The second method will probably give

you a more specular light. IA lot may depend o nthe distance of the light (head+ umbella)

t o the subject, and the size of the umbrella.

try it and see!

Mike,

I had the same question some years back, so I gave it a try with my Quantum X2 barebulb portable flash (tube in the vertical position) with a 40" satin umbrella catching and reflecting back the light radiating away from the subjects. The flash was placed about 10 feet from a family group of four in their living room.

The result: the sharp shadow edges associated with the bare tub were still very evident, but the shadow areas were somewhat filled and softened by the umbrella light. I actually liked the quality of the light, but I guess not enough to use it much since. I don't know if I'll have the time to scan that negative tonight, but if I do, I'll post an example.

As usual, Ellis pretty much summed it up. If you already have the gear, give it a try.

Thanks guys. That is pretty much the answer I expected. I am planning on trying an informal portrait shoot with an old Kodak DuaFlex and rather than burning up a lot of expensive flashbulbs I am trying to think things through carefully ahead of time.

I will probably use a tilt-a-might flash gun rather than the Kodak unit since I can use the less expensive M3 bulbs in the TAM. This unit has a folding reflector and tilting head so bare bulb is easy.

I am considering a bounce umbrella, Ceiling bounce, or firing the flash through a sheet. The sheet would probably give the softest lighting I suppose. I have some photo floods that I can use to experiment with layouts and to measure light loss of the various modifier schemes. If I can't get acceptable ratios using reflectors I could still use the Kodak flashgun for a fill light at the expense of extra bulbs.

The subject will be my wife seated at her 1901 Knabe grand piano so the vintage equipment seemes appropriate. I figure that the Kodak lens will be pleasingly soft at F8 but will also try F11.

mike

Mike, I was thinking electronic bare-bulb when I answered your question. I still have my TAM flash gun;I haven't used it in decades.

Good luck with your test photo. I'd be inclined to not use the gun in barebulb and face the reflector/bulb into the umbrella for your application, but it really is a matter of taste.

At my church we have three Steinway grands and one Knabe. Of the four, I still prefer the lower registers of the Knabe. It is a great sounding piano, at least to my ear.