Canon 1ds - reliable on-line purchase?

stephane_park

ONe thought: if you are chosing the 1Ds over the 1DII ONLY because of megapixels I would think about it a little longer. The imaging engine of the new cameras is *significantly* better than the old one in the 1Ds. There are many oter improvements as well in so far as storage, camera options, buffer, etc...

B&H and Adorama are excellent places where you can find used equipment.

People who trade in lose quite a bit of cash and with a camera that cost them $8,000.00 it is likely they won't trade. Rather, they'll more likely sell it privately or at auctions.

The 1Ds is a great camera, if you don't shoot higher ISO(above 200), and don't shoot fast, it is still a capable camera, it is one of the only 2 DSLR that is full frame, you can buy a good conditon with low actuations for less than $3800, there are many use 1Ds on sale now at Fred Miranda,

<i>"ONe thought: if you are chosing the 1Ds over the 1DII ONLY because of megapixels I would think about it a little longer. The imaging engine of the new cameras is *significantly* better than the old one in the 1Ds."</i> -- I respect your comments, Giampiero, but this is simply INCORRECT. The Anti-Aliasing filters on the 1Dmk2 (and the 1Dsmk2) do wonders for Moire, but downgrade the resolution. The 1Ds is NOTICABLY sharper than the 1Dmk2 (tested by myself against a friends 1Dmk2). Some people claim that images shot in 100 ISO compare very well against the 1Dsmk2.<br><br>

<i>"There are many oter improvements as well in so far as storage, camera options, buffer, etc..."</i> -- Yes, this I agree with. Up the ISO, and the 1Ds will pale even compared to a 20D. It's also much slower clearing the buffer.