PPW - Magnum Degrees - Image 15, Page 15

brambor

Eliot - I do remember stories of Serbian victims as well especially as the war spread to Kosovo. When you unleash the dogs of war there is gonna be some sh|t to pay and there probably is no safe place to go. I can only imagine that what is right and wrong begins to loose distinction in a firefight. To be honest I was very involved in this story during the actual events but I have not kept up with it. For instance I have not followed the war crimes trials which are still underway. Thank you for your post because now I am going to follow up on this. I would like to see ALL of James Nachtwey's photographs from the Balkans.

Eliot, I don't disagree with any of those quotes. However, you're making a claim that Serb atrocities in Bosnia "pale in comparison" to Muslim atrocities. This is not true.

Before you cite "hundreds" of dead Serbs at Srebrenica, remember that the Srebrenica massacre was a systematic, genocidal murder of 8,000 Muslim men and boys -- if you were male and Muslim, that was your death warrant. What pales in comparison?

The press demonized the Serbs. Furthermore, the press simplified the conflict by continual reference to "Serb" rather than Bosnian Serb forces, suggesting it was simple aggression by Serbia rather than a civil war by Bosnians who did not want to secede from Yugoslavia. Canada's former ambassador has also suggested that NATO deliberately provoked the war in Kosovo by arming the KLA, to provide a means of disposing of Milosevic. The supposed Serb massacres of Albanians in Kosovo have been debunked by UN investigators. Since NATO forced the independence of Kosovo, reprisal killings of Kosovar Serbs became a serious problem. BUT -- none of this changes the original facts of Bosnian Serb atrocities in the Bosnian war, which remain the most serious war crimes committed in the Balkans.

Thus my complaint that you overstate the case.

By the way, check out www.bloodandhoney.com for Ron Haviv's work from Yugo, which is a good photographic overview of the conflict.

Getting back to the photo before Jeff kicks me: There are situations where facial expressions matter a great deal -- usually away from the action -- but when someone is firing a rifle he's just a guy firing a rifle. And here the guy could be completely in silhouette and it would make no difference -- all Nachtwey needs is a guy firing a rifle out the bedroom window. The photo is about the location rather than the guy doing the shooting.

What we're getting down to here I think is a question about what conflict photography should actually show us. Is it the fighting and the fighters, or the nature of the war, or the victims, or what? What do we want Nachtwey to tell us?

Saw a better print of this photo in a recent book on combat photgraphy this afternoon. Looks the the ratio is off on this shot above--not 35mm. In the book it is certainly a 35mm ratio (seems like some on the left has been cut off above) and shows more detail and contrast than what appears on my monitor. Much stronger presentation. Oh, and more detail in the sniper's face, I might add. In that rendition the shot is not as murky, muddled and confused and the things that some have said about the longish distance, wide angle aspect of the shot come to light.