Functionality of BP300?

tom_burke3

Well, having just bought myself a new 33V I was wondering about getting a BP300 to

match it. The dealer where I bought the camera didn't have one, nor did they really know

the answer to this question.

So the question is: how much camera-control functionality is there in the BP300? I

remember the old vertical grip for the EOS 5 (A2/A2E in N America) which was primarily a

vertical grip - had a shutter button and a selector wheel - as well as being a battery pack.

But what about the BP300? Does it have any camera control capabilities? Or is it just a

battery pack?

Go to adorama, search for "BP300".

"An external battery pack dedicated to the Canon ELAN 7. The BP-300 can be used with either four AA-size batteries (alkaline, Ni-CD or NiMH) or two CR123A lithium batteries as an additional power source. It also features, on the vertical grip, a shutter release button, on/off switch as well as an AE/FE Lock button for greater convenience."

There doesn't seem to be a control wheel, though.

Not 'picking you up'..but in case of confusion..

VG-10 grip for Canon EOS 5 (A2/A2E) did NOT function as a battery grip, it was purely a vertical grip (and a very good one at that).

People often complained that it would've been nice if they could've squeezed 4x AA batteries in it though!

Canon did do a battery pack for the EOS 5 - the BP-5 - it was an 'orrible thing with a short lead and a dummy battery that goes in the battery slot..at the other end you have a hulking piece of plastic that holds 4x D cells...with a belt clip, cumbersome and awkward to use if you were on the move....having said that - the batteries lasted ages, and it was fine if you were firing away in the same postition! (also better in the cold than the 2CR5's)

Have a EOS 30 and the BP-300 and i don't consider the 30 as complete without the battery pack anymore.

It's not so much the fact that you can use normal AA's with it (you can also put two cr123 in it, 4 AA's get rather heavy but give me over 100 rolls of film), but the superb feeling when taking vertical pictures. It also has a dedicated vertical shutter release and AE lock button. IMHO it should not be called a battery pack, but a vertical grip.

Definitely buy it, i would not put this thing of my EOS 30 if i would get money for it...

I used an Elan 7 with the pack for a while. The lack of the wheel, which I use alot, was a pain in the rear. I utilize the program shift alot when shooting. If you don't have the wheel you have to set your exposure first holding it upright, then transfer to the vertical position and if you don't shoot within 7 seconds or so the settings revert and you have no way vertically to reset them because there's no wheel.

I was kinda surprised when the new Elan 7 came out they didn't revise the BP-300 and include the wheel. Even the Digital Rebel battery pack has the wheel to increase the utility of the item. I eventually took the thing off mine and stopped using it because it was pain having to continually switch holding positions just to access that control. If you do not use that control very much you may never miss it. Obviously it's not an issue for many.

"Well, having just bought myself a new 33V I was wondering about getting a BP300 to match it. The dealer where I bought the camera didn't have one, nor did they really know the answer to this question. "

In answer to your original question, I don't think it'll fit, I'm sure Canon have released a BP330 for the 30/33V EOS7N(E), however I can't find any details of it at present. But I do believe it has the wheel.

see here;

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/canoncamera.htm#mid

Adorama are the only retailers advertising the BP300 for the newer camera, all other advertisers say it's for the old one.

I have the Elan 7NE (33V i think is the other name) and got the battery pack

for it. It is the BP-300, and it works great. I have big hands and find i can reach

both the command dial, and the wheel in the back no matter how i am holding

the camera. Like previous posters have mentioned, it has an AE lock button,

Shutter button and a usefull on/off switch so you dont accidentaly fire off

frames, but no command dial. But what I find is the ability to use AA batteries

is the number one thing about this pack, The second is the balance it gives to

the camera, it makes it feel much more complete and solid, as well makes it

easier to manage with big hands.