six hours of rangefinder-style shooting in Seoul

mike dixon

Mike, I'm a big fan of yours but I do not like a single shot among these. The girl on the bench is the most attractive, but that's because of the well lit and arranged exhibit as part of a show, right?<p>When you are using your Leica and fast glass wide open it seems like you were making love to what is in front of your lens - these here by comparison appear to be just very detached and touristy snaps. Please excuse my frankness. Cheers.

I think Mike would know if he is getting a similar "style" with a different camera.

Speaking from experience, it's very different to be shooting models in your own area, people you talk to and share life experiences (or at least cultural similarities) with than to shoot in another country as a foreigner. It's very different, and the results are very different. Suggesting this is camera-related is, well, it's photo.net I guess. Easier to complain than put on the thinking cap.

Jeff, I totally agree with the potential circumstantial reasons you are giving for the styles to be different. Still, I believe focussing on the subjects (pun accepted) optically (including shallow DOF, creamy b....) as well as emotionally is Mike's forte and this, for me, holds true for his portraits as well as for his reportage and street work. While being a foreigner may make it harder for him in the latter regard, the equipment he has been using here may well have made it harder in the first. Hence my hypothesis.<p>BTW, when it comes to judging (which is what Mike has asked for), not complaining, I usually don't need a "thinking cap" but use my eyes and taste. ;-) Cheers.