paul_brenner1

I'm a long-time large-format photographer. I recently bought a

Graphic View 4x5 with an Ilex Paragon 6 1/2" f/4.5 lens with perfect

glass. (The price for both fairly nominal ($225) and I bought it as

an "investment" for a camera which I could lend to photographers I'm

beginning to mentor.)

Anyway, I'm not familiar with this lens. From its general shape and

configuration it appears it might be a Tessar-type lens. It is

single-coated, so I assume its from the late 40's to late 50's.

Given the looks of the Ilex shutter, which looks like the original

shutter for the lens,I assume not much newer than that.)

Can anyone tell me anything about this lens?

Thanks,

Paul

As I recall from reading (several sources) yes, it is a Tessar-type lens. Many of the Speed and Crown Graphics came equipped with these, in the Ilex shutter, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Graphic View also came so equipped. (Same company, after all.) I assume you have the Acme #3 shutter.

I haven't seen anything definitive about when they started coating them. Also, it seems that Burke and James bought up a whole bunch of them and put coatings on them at some point I think in the late '50s or '60s, so that can confuse matters a little bit. I've seen some with a straw-colored coating, and a very few apparently later ones with a blue coating. One or more of those (blue coating) also had a B&J sticker on the barrel.

6-1/2" -- approx. 165mm -- is very close to the true "normal" focal length for 4x5, and this lens should cover very well when stopped down some.

By the way, the Ilex Acme shutters, when maintained, are excellent. They cranked them out like alarm clocks, and they're as reliable. If it hasn't been thrashed by long hard use, it should be worth a clean and lube (if it hasn't been already).

Hope this helps.

The ILEX Paragon 6 1/2 inch/165mm F4.5 covers 4x5" at infinity; and listed for 154 bucks in 1971 in my catalog; sporting a #3 Acme Synchro Shutter. In the #3 Synchro Electric Shutter; it was a cool 246 bucks. Our new VW bug cost 1999 that same year; and gas was 28 cents. <BR><BR>There was also a ILEX "Commercial Paragon" in 6 1/2 inch/165mm F6.3; that was only 102 bucks; with a #0 shutter. <BR><BR>Barrel versions were also available at a lower cost too.<BR><BR>There are also "Process Paragons" by ILEX for the graphics arts arena; and "Wide angle Process Paragons" too.

• 9 months later...

Hi Paul,

I just started shooting 4x5 recently and I purchased the same Paragon lens mounted in an Ilex #3 shutter off Ebay. I took some color and b&w pics using a 4x5 Speed Graphic and I was very impressed. I think the lens is very good. I also added a filter holder to the front of the lens so I could use various filters because I wasn't sure if the lens is coated or not. In any case, the detail on the negatives really impressed me. Hope you enjoy shooting with it as much as I do.

Pete.......<div>00ECEu-26507084.jpg.2f9b240d0c637b15c4e354a65384c481.jpg</div>