Can anyone recommend a workhorse MF for student use?

bryan_zimmerman

Bryan,

My favorite suggestion comes from Nick. I almost laughed out loud here in the office. Holga's are wonderful. I know a shop where you can walk in and see them stacked in their boxes on the counter without fear that someone will run away with one.

I love TLRs and own two. I have a Yashica EM and a Mamiya C3. When I bought the Yashica I had to have it repaired almost right away. I got it for a song on Ebay and then handed it over to Mark Hama

( www.markhama.com )in Marietta, Georgia to have him lay his magical hands on it. It cost me $100 to have him basically rebuild the camera. Now it works like a charm and is far better than a new Seagull. Mark used to build Yashica TLRs in Japan in the 60s. So he knows his stuff. If you are looking to save your department a bunch of money you could always ship off your "grave yard" to him to have all of them repaired.

My Mamiya C3 has a quirk. It has to do with how the knob that releases the take up spool does not always wish to re-seat itself after it has been pulled. After working on it and calling it a little $%#* for about ten seconds it finds itself back in place and I go on taking National Geographic quality photos of my dog. If I ever wish to have it repaired it would cost about $140 at my local repair shop. I plan on waiting for something else to go wrong on it so I can get more bang for my repair buck. So you could also do that with your gaggle of Mamiyas.

If I were to recommend a different system for your use at the university I would have to say that I think the Pentax 645 might do the trick. They are fairly inexpensive and rugged for an SLR with great optics. You can get a body that takes 120, a 55mm and 75mm lense for around $600 in bargain condition at KEH.

Good luck and best wishes,

Brian Saye

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

You can't beat the Mamiya line of medium format cameras. The Hassies are too expensive for student use, and the Bronica's aren't being made anymore.

The Mamiya RB's and Rz's are too big for carrying around. They're great studio cameras, with 6x7 format, and the backs turn for portrait or landscape, rather than turning the camera. But, they are bulky and better suited to a tripod or limited field work.

However, the Mamiya 645's are all pretty nice. The 645 Super, 645 Pro, 645 Pro TL, 645E, and newer all have interchangable components. That is the backs, inserts, lenses, finders (waistlevel, AE prism, standard prism, etc.) will work on the line of cameras. Leaf shutter lenses are available for up to 1/500 sec. sync. flash.

The 645 bodies with lenses are only slightly bigger than a decent 35mm camera and operate pretty much the same way. It's an easy switch from a 35mm to the 645'S. The only caveat may be the 645's slightly smaller negative, 6x4.5, rather than 6x6, or 6x7. It's still 120 or 220 film, so availability is not a problem. This can also be a benefit since you get about 1.5 times the exposures on a roll at 6x4.5 than at 6x7, 15 exposures vs. 10.

A 645 Pro Tl can be had for about $700.00 on Ebay. That is, a complete setup with the Pro Tl body, AE prism, film back with a 120 insert, power grip (shutter release and film advance)80mm 2.8 coated lens, carrying strap, and usually a hand winder to replace the power grip. Lenses are abundant and can be had for an average of about $250-300.00 each.

A 645 Pro can be had for less, but lacks a built in timer and TTL metering. However, the Pro Tl requires an expensive Metz setup to utilize the TTL function so hardly anyone really uses it. If you don't mind a slightly older, but just as hardy model, buy the 645 Super. It's less than $450.00 and will last forever.

I have owned, or still own a Mamiya 645 Super, 645 Pro, 645 Pro TL, 645 AE, RB67, RB67 ProS, RB67 Pro, RZ67 Pro, and an RZ67 ProII. I have needed one repair to the Super, and that was because it was damaged in transit. Most repairs can be done on all the listed cameras for $100.00 or less! There are several camera repair shops that list their repair prices on the web. Parts for these cameras are available everywhere.

In short, I think that you can't go wrong with the Mamiya's. They make great, affordable cameras, great lenses, great components, and highly customizable bodies. I have used mine for everything but a boat anchor. I haven't killed one yet. The students won't be able to either.

If it's status you're after, buy the Mamiya's, but tell everyone the pictures were taken with a Hassleblad...no one will be able to tell the difference. Take the money you save by buying Mamiya instead of Hassleblad's, and take the students to Tahiti where they'll be able to take some great pictures. You'll come back with great cameras, great shots, and still have money left to develop and print.

Buy Mamiya!