How to take Waterfall photos - Smooth with details with digital camera

kfphotos

u need to use a longer shutter speed. put in S mode and choose a longer one. u may want a tripod. u may have to approach 1/3 a sec or longer. if its a bright day u may need a ND filter (gray) to block light so a longer speed can be used. use lowest iso too, u need some support to stop the handshake.

if too bright try when the sun is less strong .. then a longer speed can be used without the filter.

I would advise NOT to use a shutter speed that is so slow that the water becomes something else. IMO the over used slow shutter produces this cotton-candy look that doesn't feel like water anymore and actually looks distracting (to me) in the midst of the surrounding. A bit like a mass of alien material that shouldn't be there. I would use a speed that is just enought to smooth it out without too much of the candy effect.

My 3 cents...yes, I put an extra cent...why not.

If you want long shutter speeds you will typically need a ND filter. This will free you

from having to use a very small aperture (with its associated diffraction softening)

assuming your digital camera has one.

Another approach which I have not tried on digital is using a faster shutter speed and

making mutiple exposures. You get the same blurring of the body of the fall but

capture individual droplets sharply. Now obviously most digital cameras will not let

you make multiple exposures but you you can make multiple single exposures and

combine them on the computer later.

Obviously for all these techniques you require a tripod (and remote release would be

useful too).

• 3 months later...