case for Leica II?

john dorfman

I've got a Leica II (no strap eyelets) that I'd like to able to carry around my neck. Any

suggestions for a case/strap setup other than the vintage Leitz item? I haven't been

able to find a prewar Leica case that isn't falling apart or decayed. The postwar Leica

cases are too big. Does anyone know of a modern case or half-case for another

camera (with strap attached) that would fit or could be made to fit? I think the "Luigi"

cases are way too expensive for me. Thanks for any input, vintage screw-mount

users!

My friend has an old screw mount Leica that has no strap lugs. He went to the hardware store and got a 3/8" thread eye bolt and cut it down so that just the eye protruded when it was screwed into the camera's tripod hole. He attached both ends of a neckstrap to it with the split rings. It hangs kind of like an M5.

I do leather work for a hobby and I have restored many Leica ERCs. It seems that there are several pre-war versions available on eBay at any one time. I recommend the model where the carrying strap goes thru keepers at the side and around the bottom. Later models have the strap riveted to the sides of the case and this version is difficult to repair. Try to find one with sound stitching around the end where the fastening screw is located as restitching is impossible around this end unless the screw is removed. Removing the screw is a difficult task and re-installation more difficult yet. Try to find one with a 1/4"- fastening. If your camera has a 3/8" socket, adapters are available for a nominal cost.

It is worth keeping your Leica II in a leather case if it is a black paint model as it wil help reduce wear from handling the camera. I have a pair of Leica IIs and one of them came with its original case. The stitching of the snout had perished and then the flap fell off which gave me the perfect opportunity to have the case repaired but to leave off the flap. I was not sorry to lose it as it always managed to get in the way. And I have it safe in the drawer should I ever want to restore the case. The other camera has a variety of cases including a post war model that was presumably supplied with an upgraded Standard, IA, II or III as it has the dimensions of the pre-war cameras but the style of the 50s cases for the IIIF. It looks nearly new and cost $27. So my advice is to keep searching eBay. I have seen several auctions for whole collections of half a dozen early Leica cases in various states of repair, which go for next to no money. Out of one of these you are bound to find a decent half case and a strap that isn't going to snap first time you use it. Good luck, Simon<div>009TvI-19616984.JPG.82d1cb6a96e7d4faecab68c8958216d6.JPG</div>

John, If I recall correctly, I have a case where strap loops are on both sides where

staps would normally attach and a loop at the bottom so the stap would not shift.

Although the leather stap had already disintegrated, I replaced it with a nylon strap

threaded through the loops. The nylon replacement was purchased at the local

mountaineering store. I also use a wrist strap screwed into the base on another Leica

II--this is my favorite way to carry the camera.

• 4 months later...