I asked a similar question a month or so ago, and got a couple of good answers. Depending on how fancy you want to go and what operating system you have, you might try Adobe Photo Album, or, if you have any registered Nikon equipment, Nikon View. Both are free (Nikon USA requires a login, or a valid US serial number), though rather bulky downloads. I couldn't evaluate the Adobe program because it doesn't run in windows 98, so I ended up using Nikon View to create an HTML gallery, with thumbnails linked to larger images, and a small freeware program to make it autorun. No slideshow, though. I wanted my recipients to be able to select a picture and print it without using additional software, as well as to be able to page through the collection. Making it an HTML gallery that uses the recipient's own browser worked very nicely. The only problem then was that a simple autorun.inf file does not open the default browser. There are a number of freeware programs you can use to get around this. The one I used was called "autorun pro," and you can find that if you google it.

You might also check out Nonags.com for some other freeware programs. There are a number of them out there, some simple and rather lame, some quite capable. One I tried and liked was called "Vallen Jpegger" (a google search would undoubtedly find its site if you can't find it at Nonags). I didn't use it because it seemed a little too much for the job I was doing (I was preparing a snapshot disk of a big party for a number of relatives of varying computer savvy), but it's pretty full-featured, and does a thumbnail gallery and slide show both. There are some others that will do just the slide show without the gallery. A program called "XWorks Artsee" can do this well and very simply if you don't need to provide your clients with the ability to select and print individual photos from within the presentation.

<em>I want to output to CD/DVD</em>

<p>

What do they use as a reader for these CD/DVD? If it's on a TV screen no computer then (like with a consumer DVD reader) it's different than if they put it into a computer with XGA graphics board. Tools are different too.

<p>

If you use Windows XP then Microsoft Movie Maker can do a slideshow for you to which you can attach music and synchronize it to slide change.

<p>

You say add photos with a menu then I imagine it is a plain DVD for consumer DVD readers. Your DVD drive may come with a software (Roxio?) that allows you to take output from Movie Maker, add menus and generate the DVD. For more software on creating such DVDs find the <a href="http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html">

DVD Faq</a> on the web, much information <a href="http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#5.3.1">there</a>.

• 2 weeks later...