mini tripod for a heavy camera

bob_bell

Hi,

I am in need of a small tripod 6-18 inches or so that can support a

Canon DSLR with battery pack and a Canon L zoom. I am guessing around

4-5 pounds. I searched this site and google and only came up with

the Giottos U-Pod but I cant find a decent review of it. Anyone have

any experience with them or have a better idea. I dont have any

preference for a head except it needs to hold the weight.

Thx -Bob

The SLIK Sprint Mini series are quite stable if the legs are not extended that far. But I prefer to replace the included ballhead with my Manfrotto 308 RC to hold a 80-200/2.8 with a Contax RTS and Winder (2+ kg). The standard ballhead is nice and easy to use up to about 1.5 kg and together with the tripod the whole package is only a bit more than one ft long.

<p>

There is a small adapter with a broader plate from manfrotto that allows attaching 3/8 threads on 1/8 screws especially desined to add larger heads to small tripod legs. That one might be needed depending on the tripod screw (the SLIK only has the small screw).

The Novoflex Basic Tripod may or may not suit your needs. It's rock solid ("supports 22 lbs.") because the legs are just rods that screw into a central base. There's no extending the legs, but by screwing the leg/rods into different holes in the base you can get a few different heights at the low end of 6-18 inches, and various angles. Broken down, it packs *very* small. I use it with a Linhof Universal Ball Head 1 for loads a bit lighter than yours but that very nice head should handle your setup (rated at 7.7 lbs). The Basic Tripod also can work as a chest pod.