I read several dozen archive posts on flashes. Many were helpful,

some had flashes no longer available, and most posts discussed TTl

model flashes for M6ttl and M7.

Since, my camera has no TTL function I will ask for advise on some

of the models discussed that are not dedicated, shoe mount, auto

flash model which I have questions about and really appreciate help

evaluating.

The Metz 34cs-2 was mentioned favorably, in looking into it I see it

listed as the 34cs-2 digital, has a feature to sync with digicams.

I would like to know if this is a different model than the one that

was used by forum members. I am concerned that it is not meant for

film x-sync.

I saw another Metz model the 36c-2 that compared favorably with the

Vivitar 283 and the Sunpak 383, it was smaller and lighter and same

guide number. Unfortunately nobody on the forum even mentioned the

Metz 36c-2 so I am looking for feedback from anyone with an opinion

who has handled, used or looked it over at a store.

I would like to keep the flash small so don't wind up leaving it at

home so size if important. I realize that features such as tilting

for bounce tend to make the flashes large and not pocketable.

Vivitar used to make a 2500 which you can often find on Ebay for about $25. It has 2 auto ranges plus manual, tilt head, zoom diffuser for 35 through 90mm lenses, and originally came with a flip up removeable lens to cover 28mm, but this may be missing. It has a hot shoe and takes Vivitar cords as well. It uses two AA batteries and gets good mileage from them. It looks like a miniature Vivitar 285. You can easily tuck it in a jacket pocket. I have 2 of them.

The Sunpak 1600A is a very nice pocket sized flash; however, it's a hotshoe only model that doesn't have a PC cable; you will need an adaptor.

I used to have one and recommend it heartily. Mine survived a lot of travel until dropped it on the floor and it ceased to function. I've been unable to find a replacement.

Small is nice, but I value the ability to bounce flash off a wall or ceiling and keep the the sensor forward and the option of very low power output so you can suppliment the existing light, not overpower it.

The little plastic box box diffuser that fit on a vivitar 283, and I can`t remember the brand but B&H sells them, take stunning flash pics with no skill. The on camera direct beam of light effect is gone.

A flip bracket also helps as the shadows fall on nearby walls below the subject. Needless to say. there is never red eye.

Using techniques outlined I can take flash pics that do not look like flash pics.

I have a 36C2 and have used it with an M6, where it works very well. It's less than half the price of the 34CS2 at my dealer, and is also more powerful and more versatile (bounce/zoom head, takes the more readily available AA batteries, etc.). With the 34CS2, you're paying extra for the slave sensor, as well as the bracket and stand (if sold as a kit). On the other hand, the 36C2 is bulkier (jacket pocket rather than shirt pocket sized) and the locking ring crowds the shutter speed dial on the M6 a bit (but doesn't interfere with it). But I really like the results from the bounced flash, so I wouldn't swap. There are pictures of both units at http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/pdfiles/p47.pdf

Following the advice found on this forum a while ago I bought an Olympus S20 for $50 from B&H. It looks to be the same flash as the one in the Hexar RF kit and also the Leica CF flash, except it has just the one contact for triggering, no dedication. It is really tiny, like the size of a 5-pack of chewing gum, quite powerful for the size (f/5.6 or f/11 with ISO 400 film, up to 23.5ft in AUTO), and with lithium AA batteries the recycling even from a full-power pop is almost instantaneous. Comes with a 24mm diffuser and a little case. I picked up a swivel thingy at a flea market that goes in the hot shoe and has a cold shoe on it, which I put a hot-shoe-to-PC-cord adaptor on. It lets me tilt the flash for bounce and also raises it farther from the lens for no red-eye. Before that my pocket flash was a Nikon SB-9, also about the size of a 5-pack of gum. Another really great flash to look out for is a Vivitar 252. Has both a hot shoe and a built-in PC cord, if you use different bodies which do or don't have one or the other connector. Built like a 283, lighted caluclator dial and all.

I'll dig them up (got 2)and see if I can spot a brand name. They are old and I bought them at a camera flea market for $5 about 6-7 years ago, can't say I've seen one since but can't say I've been looking either. I'll try to post a shot of it/them if I can snag my wife's digi away for a minute.

Thanks maybe if I can get a model or manufacturer I can search ebay or google to locate a source for one. Who's sync cord and hot shoe did you use. I live in Vegas and this is not a city like New York City where I used to go to Photo fairs and flea market. We just have the PMA show here and its all new gear on display. Only place to see old gear is at pawn shops in the wrong side of town.