Any One had experience with Toyo 45 Carbon Fiber Camera?

gene crumpler

I haven't used the Toyo 45CF so I can't comment from experience. However, it has a reputation for not being particularly well constructed. It also doesn't, IIRC, have any back movements which is a significant disadvantage in my opinion. Linhofs are probably the best built large format camera currently being made, certanly one of the best, so they do cost more. I think you can find users' comments about the Toyo by searching the archives here and in www.largeformatphotography.info.

Sounds like "you get what you pay for". With no back movements, I'd be better off using a Crown Graphic. I had been thinking I might want to try 4x5 again, but not making a major investment. I already have a ton of money tied up in MF equipment(Pentax 67, Hassie, Rollie,and Mamiya).

I was dismayed to hear that Ilford has or is considering dropping out of the sheet film business. Hopefully they will continue with 120 Delta 100 as that is what I'm using currently.

Gene,

The Toyo CF is not the only choice for a 'low price spread' new 4x5 field camera. You can

get a Shen Hao or a Tachihara wood field in the same price range. The Shen Hao is sturdy,

has lots of movements and is well respected for what it is. Same with the Tachi. IMO both

of these are better options than the CF.

Of course, there is also the used market where you will find many excellent samples in the

500-700 range.

I have owned one for about six months. My first LF camera. Shoot mostly landscapes with it, and have had some very nice results. But the lack of rear movements is a serious limitation for some types of shots. I ended up buying an inexpensive used monorail afterwards so I could fool around with a more flexible camera. But that one is too bulky to easily backpack with. I think the build quality is not great on that CF, especially the cheap tabs that hold the filmholder in place. They look like they could go at any minute. I've not had any noticable alignment problems (negatives sharp corner to corner when I get the focus right).

When you start adding up all the other equipment...a few lenses, filmholders, loupe, cloth, tripod, meter, etc, I think you'll find that an extra pound or two will not make as big a difference as you thought. That's just my experience.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have been so hasty in my purchase. I would go the used route next time with a more flexible and better built field camera. Or consider a slightly higher priced new model like those mentioned above.

That said, you can have a great deal of fun with the CF and it will allow you to take some very nice photos. I still use it over a much better built and expensive Hasselblad MF for a lot of things, which says something I guess.

mac

I just got back from the catskills with the CF as my only camera purposely. I left the hasselblads, digital stuff, and rolleis at home. I am getting nice negatives, sharp corner to corner using slight tilts and swings. I am not advanced enough to need all the other movements yet. I bought the camera new from a dealer at a great savings so it was less than the other low cost cameras so it was a good choice for me to start with. I am still happy with the purchase for my purposes. If I do need more movements, then a small monorail will be in my future.

I chose a Shen-Hao over the 45CF - I felt the 45CF was way too flimsy and poorly designed to be worth the money. I especially didn't like the way you have to take the front standard off the focusing track (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???) to slide it into the back to close the camera. While the Shen-Hao isn't the most compact or light-weight 4x5 field camera on the market, at approximately 1/8 the price of a new Linhof 4x5, and a good 2-300 cheaper than the Toyo CF, I'm very happy with the camera. Another thing to think of - the Shen Hao has a bag bellows for $99 that will allow you to use extremely wide lenses (I get full movements with my Rodenstock 75mm F6.8 ... I think with the bag bellows you can get as wide as a 58mm using a FLAT lensboard), and the front standard comes forward so you don't need a drop-bed.