photo's used without permission?

vertigoclimb

I sent a email to Fred Vnoucek(his images are on that site).

Maybe he knows about, Maybe he doesn't.

Like you said Lisa, let people know about it. Alot of people seem to think images posted on-line are free to use. They dont know about copyright.

How did you find that website?

Erin Paul Donovan

In the past, I've come across PN pix on other blogs on a regular basis, such as xanga.com, some Korean language sites, etc. Although it's technically illegal, at the very least they included the photographers' name. FWIW, might want to do a google.com search for your own names and you'll be surprise what you'll find.

Why doesn't Photo.net just incorporate the security feature that disables the ability to right click a photo and save it to the hard drive? There are a lot of EASY technology approaches that they could incorporate to protect users. This is one of the reasons that I discontinued uploading photos, although I would like to.

Brian is right Gary. I disabled right click saving on my own website by making a script to close the full sized photos when clicked, but there must be many ways around it because I have found my pics all over the Korean blog sites as mentioned above.

There are too many ways to copy what's on screen. By simply taking a screen shot, eg "Print Screen" button in "Windows" and "Shift"+"Command"+"3" in Mac OSX, you can copy what is on your screen at that moment to your clipboard. Then take the image into an editing program like PS and crop out what you don't want. There is no script that I know of, that can prevent taking a screen shot while web browsing, therefor every image on the web can be copied. So it doesn't matter what Brian does, there is always a way around it.

Yes Wilson, just like that, and there are many pictures from photographers I recognise as Photonet members. Note though, that they aren't all copied/saved and uploaded however, but linked to direct from the host site:- for example <a href="http://blog.empas.com/wopark/list.html?a=5693674&c=168022">here

</a> my pictures are linked from my personal website. If you scroll through the page links at the bottom you will find many more photographer's work on display.

Yeah, I get tons of hits every month from people who link to my site for their blogs. That is the main reason I put my name and title on every image. Most leave it even if they copy the image locally. A few cut it off then I get in touch with them, or the manager of the blog, and it's usually removed pretty quick.

Sure, it does. It has some nice photos of G., Dave N., Yuri, Lisa, Dave K., and many other Photo.Net citizens which were not contacted for permission. I'm sure if the bloggers just e-mail and ask, most of us would give certain permission. Anyway, I guess it's a mute point by now based on how easy it is to heist something from the web.

• 2 weeks later...