What film for both minilab prints and home scanning?

I usually use Provia 100 slide film which I scan using a Minolta

5400 and Vuescan, enlarge using Photoshop and colour print on my

Epson 2100 (or print in B&W on my 1290 with Permajet B&W ink) - I am

keen on quality. However, my family complain that this does not

give them the immediate 6x4 prints obtainable using colour negative

film. I dont want to carry a second camera for the family snaps and

so I am looking for a good colour neg film that can be minilab

processed for 6x4 prints and then scanned for the "serious" shots

that I want to enlarge on my home PC. So far my experience of

scanning neg film has been disappointing. Any help, please?

Hi Philip,

I am not an expert but I usuallu use the Kodak Portra range of negatives. I have them processed and printed at a local jessops, but occasionally I have them scanned and prined at A4 or A3 size and they are quite pleasing.

I believe that most negative films would be suitable, I have a lot of photographer friends who use a range of negative films, and scan and print them.

I believe that the skill is in the scanning and the subsequent Photoshop work. I don't think that the type of film makes a huge difference (unless you are thinking of scannes B&W negs).

I'm in a similar situation. Anything that I want to hang on the wall gets scanned and tweeked in Photoshop. I like HD200 for scenic shots or for almost anything in sunlight. It has good sharpness, fine grain and saturated colors.

http://images.snapfish.com/333%3C932323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2324%3D387%3D%3A49%3D%3B76%3A3%3Ab25274624%3D323239697%3B8%3B6nu0mrj

I use 800 speed film for sporting events, wildlife, and astronomy. The current offering from Kodak is better than the one from a few years ago.

http://images.ofoto.com/photos584/1/14/92/69/60/9/960699214103_0_ALB.jpg

For people picutres, I like Portra 160 NC for its flesh reproduction.

http://homepage.mac.com/randrews4/.Pictures/Ray%20Reunions/9510McCormicksCreek2W.jpg

Fuji Superia Reala

Good, accurate colors, reasonable saturation, incredible recorded dynamic range with decent contrast. Many of my best pictures were shot with this film. Should work great with one of the Reala profiles in Vuescan.

Kodak 400uc also seems to be a pretty nice film in my experience good color and exceptionally fine grain for 400 speed. Other films in the Ultra Color or Portra series are probably worth a try. Anything in this series will probably scan well with any of the Portra NC or VC settings in Vuescan as they are supposed to have a common "channel" (which as I understand it is photolabese for they use the same color correction settings.)