Polarization filter problem

simon_kull

hi there

i hope you can help me:

ok, using a polarization filter, say in the mountains with snow etc.

helps to cut out UV and gives -generally speaking- stronger colors.

right? But this is all during the day with nice sunlight.

-How about the performance of a polarisation filter at dusk or dawn,

shadows or even with flaslight? do i always have to change it when

the sun's gone?

I'm new to this so help is greatly appreciateed.

thanks, simon

Polarizers also eliminate reflections, for example when making a shot through a window or when taking shots of "reflecting" vegetation.

Maybe you can FLASH through a window also with one of that or can flash reflecting surfaces in general, but i don't know for sure.

The polarizer's main effect is to deepen the sky and foliage by cutting out reflections.

A polarizer will not be much help after sunset or on cloudy days when the light is not very polarized. It will cut reflections off of water or glass, if you're in that situation, but only if the light source is at an angle.... a straight-on reflection like that of an on-camera flash in a window, is not polarized and so will not be cut by the filter. Reflections off of shiny unpainted metal also are not polarized and will not be affected by the filter.

Keeping the filter on the lens when it is not useful doesn't do any harm, except that you lose about 2 stops of exposure.... at dusk or dawn this could be an issue.

:)=

It is rare that I will ever shoot chromes,without a pola filter in daylight.Light reflected from many surfaces becomes "polarized".It then has light waves vibrating in multiple planes.Smooth surfaces such as glass,water(or anything wet),paint,plastics and some metals all cause this effect.A "Polarizing" filter,is sort of a venetian blind,that only allows in light at the desired angle.This scattering of light can rob apparent "sharpness", from the best films/lenses.They really do increase contrast,and color saturation by removing this "junk" light.Ive noticed that the more expensive the pola,the better job they do,especially the oversized Nikon types.

Even on overcast days, they will have an effect. Look through it on say a blacktopped surface and turn - it will look even blacker. Eliminating glare, I guess. A "good" polarizer will also have an enhancing effect W/ E-6 chromes for sunsets/rises. There it is merely adding alittle density, not polarizing.

Best way to see what 'effect' the polarizer has is to take a couple of frames and darken the sky as much as possible on one image, then lighten up the effect on the next frame. Then remove the polarizer and put on a UV (if you are in the mountains) and shoot the same scene. When you get your slides back (if that is what you are shooting) you can see which one is best for you. If you are shooting print film, the printer will likely correct the frames to the satisfaction of the software in the machine.

And no, the polarizer and flashlight will not work well at night.