28mm wide angle lens for compact digicam?

cao tuo

Another possibility: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P41. It looks like it's a wide angle that uses some kind of oddball "smart zoom," which probably is a digital zoom (turn it off). There's also the Cyber-shot U cameras. Just 2MP though.

There's also the Olympus D-390, another 2MP camera.

It's becoming more difficult to find the fixed-focal length cameras, because by now, most consumers expect a zoom lens in a $500 camera.

Right now, there's no pocket-size camera that will do 28mm. The <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons60/">Canon S60 is a nice camera</a> that does zoom out to 28mm, but it won't quite fit in a shirt pocket. The <a href="http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix5000-review/">Nikon 5000</a> is even larger than the S60, and its poor focusing capability is a real problem, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I like...

28mm is a fairly long focal length on a compact digicam. What you're looking for is a lens that gives you the equivalent field-of-view of a 28mm lens in the 35mm format. Different thing entirely.

AFAIK the Ricoh Caplio RX is the only truly compact cam that can do this. Its lens is 4.3mm at the short end, which gives pretty much the same horizontal coverage with a 1/2.7" CCD as a 28mm lens does with a 24x36mm sensor (or 35mm film frame).

-Dave-

I've had a Canon S60 for about a month now. It will fit in "bigger" pockets...like a jacket or jeans. Not a truly tiny camera, but damn its full-featured. a 35mm equiv lens of 28mm-100mm with raw output.... Kind of a bitch to focus in low light, but alas I think that is a general problem for digicams.

"Ricoh Caplio RX is the only truly compact cam that can do this."

No, the Ricoh Caplio GX can. 5.1 Meg, plus superfast shutter response, and manual capabilities.

For compacts, I think the S60 or Ricoh GX would be your main choices right now. I have the GX. Great camera.

• 3 years later...