Fall Color New England

kenghor

It is almost confirmed that I would be visiting New England next month to capture the color of fall on film. At the end of my trip, I am hoping to have some photos that I could enlarge and place them on walls for display. Philips's travelogue is useful but I would like to find out more information.<BR>

This would be my first trip to USA. I will be spending about 2 weeks on a self drive tour. I would fly to either New York or Boston (which is better?) to look for a small rental car (how much would the rate be like?). I will be staying in motels and don't intend to make any advance booking. <BR>

Are there any scenic parks in the area that I can take a short hike?<BR>

How much would I be expected to spend a day on petrol, accomodation in motel and food in resturant on a low budget?<BR>

There are some books recommended by Philip on the road drive. Should I follow them so as not to miss the beautiful spots or should I just drive around on my own?<BR>

What kind of clothings should I bring for this time of the year?<BR>

Any other information would be useful.

<P>You <EM>really</EM> need to buy a basic tourist guide concerning accomodations and dining, driving (rental cars and gasoline), climate, state and national parks, etc. Philip has, IMHO, discriminating tastes and his book recommendations are usually justifiable. The Michelin Green Guides are superb and much of the basic information you require is contained therein. Your local travel agent will have a ton of information including pricing.

<P>If you are flying out to the US with the express intent of capturing fall foliage (of the type in Philip's New England Foliage photo essay), you will want to fly to Boston and drive directly to Vermont (or catch a shuttle flight to Vermont if you're afraid of driving in Boston like me). There is no reason to fly to New York City unless you're visiting New York City. I despise JFK International Airport. New York City has its own reasons for its existence, but nature photography is not a major component.

<P>Most state and national parks here in America have a substantial number of short hikes. You will find these trails well labelled (including metric distances in many instances) and well maintained; Americans are actually quite good at park management and you will find these parks quite hospitable in most cases.

<P>Two weeks is not a very long time. I advise you to start with Philip's guidelines and veer away/do your own thing if you find his recommendations unsatisfactory. You will probably leave the US with the strong feeling that you did not get to see everything worth seeing.

<P>Personally I would be prepared to experience near freezing temperatures in the early morning hours. Pick whatever clothing you feel necessary for such temperatures. I always travel with a decent blazer and nice pair of shoes, mostly because I don't want to feel like a total fool when I dine at a nice restaurant.

<P>Good luck and get those guidebooks!

Yes, I agree that you are better off flying to Boston and drive to

Vermont for fall foliage. However, since you mention that you are

going to the US next month, and next month is September. That will be

a bit early for the best fall foliage. Usually the "peak" is the

Columbus Day weekend, which is around mid-October. If you will indeed

be there early, you might want to consider going further north to,

for example, Maine, where the colors turn earlier.

One useful thing to know when touring the States; every hotel, carhire firm, in fact, every business practically, has a 1-800 (ie toll-free) no. If you dial 1-800 555 1212, you will be able to find out the toll-free no for any such business, anywehre in the States. This is especially helpful booking hotels a day or so ahead of yourself -- which I recommend you do.

If Vermont is your destination(it's a good one for foliage), you do not want to fly into New York. Of course, you really don't want to drive in Boston either. Trying to get in or out of Logan Airport is probably one of the most horrific driving experiences that exist in the modern world, though there are amazingly few accidents. If you are set to start driving between 4pm and 7pm, don't. Wait until after 7pm. "Rush hour" driving in this area should only be attempted by the locals. I live about 20 miles NW of Boston and have driven this route too many times.

<p>

I would try to make some lodging reservations. Lodging in VT can get scarce in the Fall. Try to do a web search for Vermont and Lodging and/or Chamber of Commerce and you'll probably find bed and breakfasts and motels. The previously mentioned books should also have lodging information. If you really don't feel like making reservations, and you just drove to Vermont, you'd probably find a place to stay. Vermont is one of the friendliest and most relaxed states in the country and people there are quite helpful.

<p>

Prices on everything should be pretty low by Singapore standards. A small rental car should be around $30 to $40 per day. Gasoline will be about $1.20 a gallon. Lodging will be anywhere from $50 to $150. Tempertures could be down aroung freezing in the early morning and go up to around 70 degrees F in the afternoon. Bring some clothes that you can layer. Vermont is very casual so I wouldn't worry about being to dressed up. Clean blue jeans and a decent shirt or sweater will be acceptable in all but the fanciest restauraunts.

<p>

As for where to go, I would either follow Philip's directions or those of the travel guides. Once you get there, the locals can probably direct you to other good spots. I do second Philip's recommendation of the Kancamagus Highway which is actually in New Hampshire. It will probably be a 4 hour drive from Woodstock VT.

One of the biggest misconceptions shared by a very large number of people I've met is that the only fall foliage worth seeing is in New Hampshire and Vermont, and that New York City is all there is to New York State. In fact, you could almost place all of Vermont and New Hampshire together inside the Adirondack Park in New York. I've been though the Adirondacks (as well as New Hampshire and Vermont) and I can tell you that they are truly spectacular in the fall.<p>

I'm not writing to suggest that you avoid Vermont and New Hampshire; they're both beautiful in the fall. I'm simply suggesting that if you have the time, you might want to visit New York as well. I'd also like to point out that mid-October is a better time for fall color than mid-September. In fact, I doubt you'll see much color at all in mid-September.

I agree with Russ regarding the Adirondacks. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to fly into Montreal, spend 2 days in Montreal, then down to the Adirondacks for 2 days, then across the Berkshires, and over to the Massachusetts coast (a travel day). 3 days in Boston (including a day on the Freedom Trail), a day at Plymouth, a day at Gloucester, then up to Acadia National Park in Maine for two days, and finally back over to Montreal, or return through Boston. This would take about two weeks.

<p>

I agree with the folks who suggested that it would be worth getting a travel guidebook. There is a heck of a lot more to this part of the country than just Fall foliage.

I'll agree with the previous statements about the Adirondacks. They *do* rival New Hampshire and Vermont in terms of beauty, and the Adirondack Park is the largest park in the United States. Information on the Adirondack region of New York State abounds on the Internet... try http://www.adirondack.net for starters.

<p>

I don't know that I would fly into JFK or Logan ... or, for that matter, Montreal. There is an airport in Albany, NY... and it is only a short drive (east) into Massachusettes, or a short drive (north, then east) into Vermont, or a short drive (north, then north some more) into the Adirondacks.

<p>

The NYS Thruway will link into the Mass Turnpike east of Albany, NY. Interstate 87 will take you south into the Catskills or north into the Adirondacks. If wish to go into Vermont, take I-87 north to exit 17N (South Glens Falls), then take Rte 22 (?? -- memory is fading, but the signs towards "Rutland, VT" situated at this exit of I-87 are not; follow them) into Vermont and the Green Mountains.

<p>

Flying into Logan (Boston) or JFK (New York City) necessitates a -minimum- of four or five hours of driving before you reach any of the above-mentioned areas.

<p>

I'll be making a trip back into that area of the country myself, the second week of September (to visit my parents, who still live there) ... I don't expect to see too much autumnal foliage, but I was more interested in dragging my photo gear to the top of some of the Adirondack peaks (maybe up near Blue Mountain Lake and thereabouts).

The trip that Glen maps out a sounds pretty nice and flying into

Montreal is a good idea. Flying into Albany isn't a bad idea either but I'm

not sure how feasible this will be coming from Singapore.

<p>

The basic reason for Vermont getting mentioned so much is that it's pretty

much assured to have good foliage. Acadia and the Adirondacks are also a

good bets. New Hampshire, other than the Kancamangus isn't really that great

in the fall. I tend to get better foliage if I wait a couple of weeks and go for a walk

near my house. For a typical scene about 5 miles from me in early October, check

out http://www.ultranet.com/~pwilson/images/Img46lg.jpg.

<p>

Western Massachusetts also has some nice foliage but this tends to peak later.

Also beware that the summer here has been quite dry. This tends to make to make

the leaves fall sooner and be less colorful.

I did the exact trip described above by Glen (were you there?). The whole area is really spectacular.

<p>

I was unfortunate to have cloudless blue skies with a pretty strong breeze on most of the days.

<p>

Accomodations, surprisingly, were much less expensive there than in the west...I had many good hotels at $40-$60 per night.

<p>

I also agree with the above poster about going in October...September is a little too early.

<p>

I'd start booking if I were you. As it is you'll be lucky to find vacancies this close to "foliage season."

Thanks for all the suggestions and useful infomation! <BR>

Just as I was getting excited and ready to book the air ticket, my friend backed out.<BR>

Actually I don't mind going alone. In fact I think it would be more adventurous and memorable. But the cost would burst my budget with no one to share the overheads of car rental and accomodation.<BR>

My initial plan is to set off at the end of September and finish the tour in mid Oct. Guess I'll have to wait till next year as it is difficult to find another partner with just one month notice. :-(

The easiest way to get to Vermont is via Bradley (Hartford/Springfield)International Airport in

Connecticut which is 5 minutes from I-91. An hour

on the Interstate and you can visit the restrooms

at the VT vistor's center and get the latest info.

Not the cheapest air fare, but the least hassle.

<p>

The best short summit hike for tourists with kids is Mt

Kearsarge, Rollins State Park, in Warner NH. They burned

the trees off the top of the mountain decades ago... Most

summits in New Engand are below treeline.

Mount Wachusett in Princeton, MA is cleared at the summit too, and it is a relatively modest hike. It is a state park in conjunction with a ski area. If they're running the chair lift, you could just hike it "one way." Just try to keep from getting run over by all the hawk watchers.

<p>

If one were to hike Mount Wachusett, it would be worth planning to stop for either lunch or dinner at the Old Mill in Westminster, MA. Foreign visitors might also enjoy the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA, Durgin Park in Fanuel Hall (Boston), and Jimmy's or Pier 4 (also in Boston). There are actually some nice photo ops associated with restaurants. Jimmy's and Pier 4 would probably be considered expensive by most standards.

<p>

Exactly when the foliage season starts and peaks does vary from year to year, due to variations in temperature and rain fall. You can probably get a pretty good idea about any particular year by calling the American Automobile Association affiliate club in the state you're interested in.

<p>

I agree that Hartford is a great place to fly into if you want to get to southern Vermont, but I don't know what kind of service you get from international destinations for either Hartford or Albany. Montreal, Boston, and New York are obviously the major points of entry for foreign travelers to this part of North America.

Go

<p>

Car hire and accomodation are not that expensive in the US. Especially if you book the car in Singapore, with some of the package deals on offer. I am coming from Australia to the US for five weeks by myself. I hired a fairly decent sized car (a 6 cylinder 2 door) because I intend to do a lot of driving. SF, Seattle, Cleveland, SF via many national parks and other places of interest.

Anyway the car is costing less than 30USD a day. You should be able to get a smaller vehicle for less than 20USD. Some airlines here even offer you credits (like 200USD) on related car hire.

Accomodation can be fairly cheap in the basic motels, around 35USD a night, less if you stay in hostels or camping grounds.

So go check with a travel agent, you may find offers to good to refuse. One deal I got was airfare, two weeks car hire and two nights in Singapore for less than the standard airfare.

A voice inside me is telling me to "JUST GO!", like what Nick is tell me.<BR>

But after working out the budget, I have to face the reality. My budget is about US$75 per day. This amount is only enough for the car rental and accomodation (I don't think there are too many hostel available in New England other than in BOSTON). I guess it would easily be another $25 on food per day. <BR>

Only if I can get a buddy, the expenses could easily reduce by almost half.

• 5 months later...

Hi-

<p>

As I will be travelling to Vermont this upcoming fall, I was interested in the response.

<p>

A great airport to arrive through Vermont would be via Burlington International Airport in Burlington/Lake Champlain. This is a very small airport but easily accessible to the major freeways.

<p>

Can you tell me what this Philip's travelogue is? Thanks so much.