What's the best DVD camcorder that's reasonably priced?

lynnwood42

Question, I am interested in buying a DVD camcorder to use for

personal use. I have never had a camcorder before, but have heard

that buying a DVD camcorder would be better than buying a Mini DV

camcorder,,.....is that correct? Which DVD camcorder would someone

recommend. I am looking for one that is 'reasonably' priced. Thanks!

Actually, you are incorrect, in my opinion.

1) DVD quality is inferior to tape. As a general rule, MiniDV is 2.5 times better than DVD

(25mps vs 10mps) in terms of quality. MiniDV is regular old DV like we use in the studio.

2) DVD is much more fragile than tape in that DVD scratches easily.

3) Tape takes a longer time to load into the computer for editing, though it doesn't really

bother me. Connection is simple - just a USB or Firewire cable usually.

4) It's argued that tape is more expensive per minute than DVD (referring to DVD-R, not

DVD-RAM or DVD-RW), though the way camcorders write to DVD wastes a lot of usable

space. This translates to shorter record times on DVD's. A big thing for me is that tape is

reusable. I'm constantly going over stuff that I don't want to keep, which probably lowers

the overall cost of the media. Also, at this moment at least, tape is easier to find than the

blank mini DVDs.

5) The only universally supported DVD format is DVD-R in that most stand-alone players

will play back the discs, though you have to check to be sure. Almost all current editing

software recognizes MiniDV and many recognize home-recorded DVD-R. Apple handles

everything, so you are covered there. But if compatibility is an issue, MiniDV wins there,

no question.

6) Battery life is shorter on DVD cameras.

There may be a time when DVD is better than MiniDV, but I don't think it is here yet.