Pentax 67 loading

steve_phillipps

I think we are talking 'relative' here. I personally don't think loading the 67 is all that difficult (and I'm pretty green with the 67), it certainly is somewhat cumbersom and certainly rather slow. When you figure that you have so few exposures (relative to 35mm)and the fact that the camera doesn't have a 'back' system it is going to tend to be somewhat slow. When I'm in a hurry to change film I sometimes have a hard time to get the film roll clicked into place. On one occasion I lost a roll of film because I got flustered and the film rolled out in a rush situation.

So I suspect you are fine. Are the exposures coming out ok?

I find it tricky to get the loaded spool into the slot sometimes. And other times the paper on the other spool comes off before its wound. These are the two things that slow me down when loading. Efke paper (its a great film, but loasy paper backing) always seems to fall off my spools as they cut theirs narrower then most for the slot. I think Efke could redesign their paper backing.

I do think that the reason I'm doing OK is because I'm not hurrying, but the reason I got the 67 was to slow down and enjoy. I've done 35mm for 20 years, and recently had a 'blad for a while (very pretty but never really got on with it), and a Fuji GS645S (really excellent and simple bit of kit, a real beauty, but limited use by RF), but I'm totally happy with the P67-feels good, everyhting clicks into place nicely and cleanly, feels like I'm making pictures rather than just being there and hitting a button.

Glad this forum's here, lots of good stuff.

Best wishes to all.

Steve

Steve, glad to hear you're enjoying your 67! Nice big solid gear. I would agree with the others on inserting reels. And the Fuji's pop-down retainers are faster and easier than the Pentax latches, don't you agree? But it's not really a big deal. I tend to prefer 220 film for a longer run before changing.

Only within the past year have I started seating the new roll of film in the feed-side chamber and then detaching the paper tape... The amazing thing is how many years it took me to think of it! I agree with Steve L that this makes loading easier. And smarter, as it helps avoid loosening the wrap on the backing paper.

But I once closely watched an assistant at a pro fashion shoot load three bodies in continuous rotation after peeling the tape, roll after roll. He placed each body on the table (mount down), changed the empty spool to the take-up side, put the new spool (minus tape) straight in, pulled the film across the gate, stuck it into the take-up and wound on. With not a fumble, ever. I was mesmerised, and looked hard to see the trick, but he didn't seem to have one.

It does get easier with practice but it can be cumbersome when you haven't got a safe clean surface to rest the camera on. I normally leave the camera on the tripod and tilt the head right forward when changing films (or right back to get the old film out). Having regularly used a P67 in India and the middle east where dust was a major problem, I developed a love for 220 since it halves the number of reloads.