Republican convention shooting...

kevin m.

I stick to "left" and "right" because "liberal" has inverted its definition since the 19th Century. Liberals used to resist huge, intrusive government and the confiscation of private wealth; now they champion it. I'm not sure when the term "conservative" came into use or whether it has changed in meaning over time.

Well, I wouldn't get a Leica NEAR the place.

Too expensive.

ANY political convention or event in a politically polarized climate is sunject to the possibility of violence.

And the new practice, almost entirely run by local PDs BTW, of cramming a few thousand people into "protest zones" lights the match on the powder keg.

The SECOND you get a lot of hopped-up people in a small space, you WILL RUN THE RISK OF VIOLENCE.

In my city, this happens if we get to the NCAA playoffs.

Too many people on one street with too many bars.

No Leica should be near such a place.

Honestly, the oldest, cheapest, strongest camera you have with a long prime or good zoom (but not too pricey), is what you take to these things. A Nikon FT2 with say a 135 prime is my choice, with a 50mm in the bag just in case.

In that kind of situation, you are not Robert Frank calmly touring the U.S. taking social landscape shots.

You are a potential target for everyone and anyone there (and by that I mean the cops AND the protesters....the anarchists that show up tend to get really twitchy about cameras....)

Expect the NYPD to use remarkable restraint. The last thing city officials want is for things to get out of hand and turn nasty. Seasoned rent-a-crowd agitators will try to provoke the police into a violent 1968 Chicago-style riot, but I'm betting the NYPD keeps things in hand. I wouldn't go anywhere near MSG with a Leica. In fact, I know a lot of New Yorkers who are getting out of town for the week of the convention. My summer vacation down the shore coincides with the convention, so I'll be relaxing on the beach.
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

Hitler & Lenin were Authoritarian leftists. They would have disliked republican politics & Bush. Most protestors will be Libertarian leftists who have more in common with Ghandi than Hitler. on the facist-anarchist scale. Actually, most liberals here in the states are closer to the right than to the left since polar left is communism. What we really have in the states is a case of extreem right & middle of the road.

" I'm not sure when the term "conservative" came into use or whether it has changed in meaning over time."

Not all that long ago it stood for a set of principles, practically all of which the current set of buffoons have turned up-side-down. However, the left doesn't haven't much of a grasp on reality either.

The only one who really knows what he's doing is Bin Ladin, all the others are following his dance steps, backwards and stumbling in their high-heels.

Randy. you "don't know about Mussolini"? My goodness, no wonder you spread your ill-

informed short-sighted ignorance of what "lefties" are. As far as I'm concerned, being

called a leftie is a compliment. If anything that is NOT right-wing conservative, zealot

religious fanatic, pro-death penalty, pro arms, big business arse-licking and overall

political liar and election-robber is "leftie", then I am even left of "leftie". But to make

things clear I hate Stalin as much as I hate Hitler and Mussolini, and I loathe communism.

There. You really are all mixed-up.

Eliot, "You guys asked for it by using this question as license to bash Bush and

Republicans." Absolutely. Anything goes when it's time to oust the Bush administration.

After all, did THEY hesitate using very dubious tactics, to say the least? All's fair...

Michael Moore for President!

Oh, I found this photo with the explicit permission to copy it on a web site. And it shows a baby after a bombing with precision smart bombs in Bagdad. This is a "collateral damage". And because even the best and most technically advanced air force in the world - no doubt: the US Air Force - can not completely avoid collateral damage by now I strongly prefer to find other solutions than fighting wars: negotiation, diplomacy and many other means. Just remember: all of the US marines that were killed during the last months could be alive today and take photos of their children.

I saw many interviews and read many reports about the current election campaigns, and I can tell you that I am not a democrat either. Probably my brain is not american enough to understand why the USA think they are at war while the rest of the world thinks they are not.

And, to talk about photography again: try to take a photo in the subway in NYC and tell me if this country still looks the origin of freedom or whether it turns into a country in which you are not allowed to take photos wherever you like.

I would not dare to take photos of the security guards at the convention nor of the entries or similar - you might look like a dangerous terrorist exploring a target.

• 1 month later...

Tom Benzing , aug 15, 2004; 02:08 a.m.:

"Dick, your name suits you. You've posted an amazing collection of

vendom dripping and moronic comments. Seems like we have 'a Jay'

back."

"Vendom"? Heh.

If anyone is dripping with "vendom" it is Tom Benzing--who is in no

position of calling anyone "moronic."

"Vendom" indeed.