current thread about this. So please don't flame me too much.)<BR><BR>

Anyway, since I don't know diddly about digital video, I figure I

will buy something cheap to learn a bit on. I was looking through the

UBid.com offerings in the sub-$500 range and saw examples ike

these:<BR>

JVC GRDVM70U <BR> and<BR>JVC GRDVP3U <BR>and<BR>Panasonic PVDV100

Digital Palmcorder.<BR><BR>

Comments on cheap consumer-newbie cameras like these, or other

suggestions as to models or places to buy would be deeply appreciated.

Well, I own the Panasonic PV DV400 (same as 100 + little more features) - it's a mini DV format (standard) and works really well. You can buy a Firewire card for your PC - it's really easy to get stuff on the computer, and then back onto the camcorder.

On the other hand, I find it a lot more difficult to do anything good in video than in photo...but that's another story...

Looking at the specs for those three cameras, I'd choose the Panasonic simply because it is the only one of the three with an external microphone input. You've got to compare the features and decide what's most important to you; I feel having the option to use an external microphone is important. Like on still cameras, digital "zooms" are awful and shouldn't usually be utilized. I prefer a B&W viewfinder, since a display that small is more sharp in B&W than color - all seem to have a color LCD anyway. All seem to have firewire in/out to connect to your computer. Check to see what analog in/out each camera has, for connecting to your TV or analog VCR. Try to go somewhere & handle the different models before you decide.

If your computer doesn't already have a firewire input (IEEE1394), you might look at something like the Pinnacle Studio DV card/software package (http://www.pinnaclesys.com).

My personal preference (or prejudice..take your pick!) would be to take a look at some of the Canon DV cameras. The Canon Elura 20/25/30 are all very capable.

My belief is that camera manufacturers like Canon make better digital camera products through their long experience with photography. Their controls are often better and more instinctive for a photographer to use.

If you aren't in a big rush to purchase, some stores will let a person take a camera home overnight to try out (secured by credit card) or rent them for a day. Many idiosynchosies (or strengths) in the product can be found that way before purchasing.

Good luck!