jc5066

Just purchased an old Novatron 440 Plus with a pair of 2010 and one

2110 head. The flash bulb is blown on one the 2010. Can you still

purchase replacement bulbs? How hard are these to replace? I dont

sodder, but I know people who do. Would it be better to purchase

another head?

I would assume any Novatron head would work, if it is equal or

greater in watts.

Does anyone know the wattage of the 2010 and 2110?

You have to send them back to Novatron, call em, ask em how much it will

cost, I have heard of people replacing tubes themselves but don't know how they got the flashtubes, call Novatron, it may be cheaper to buy another head on E-Bay, but you have unknown product on your hands.

Jon,

There is a firm that sells flash tubes for Novatron and other heads and regularly sells them at auction on ebay. Bidding starts around $26 dollars on the Novatron tubes. You may want to contact the flash tube seller directly and see if they have a tube for your head. It is easy to replace the Novatron tubes. Make sure the head is not in the pack, loosen the two screws and nuts that hold the plastic housing to the reflector and you will see where the tube leads are soldered in. There shouldn't be significant residual charge on the the capacitor in the head, but you might want to short out any charge across the leads of the tube just in case. Any guy who has done a bit of soldering should have no trouble unsoldering and resoldering these flash tube leads.

I believe both of your heads are rated up to 1000 watt-seconds. If you use the 2110 stopped down 1 stop, you should also have a 2010 in the pack. According to Novatron, the head/pack can be damaged if only one head is used and it is in a power reduction mode. I think this is more of a problem when using the big packs.

Thanks guys. Contact the ebay seller and novatron. Novatron says you have to send it to them because now they use the color corrected bulbs and they have to do stuff to the head, yeah what ever. Color corrected bulbs would be nice, but they're 3 times a much. I shoot digital, easy to fix.

The Ebay seller said he has sold hundreds of these with-out a complaint. Going to order a couple of these for back-ups.

Replaced the bulb, and it works. Pretty easy stuff. Never soldered before, except a couple test wires before hand. Didn't really save much this time, but when I need a bulb replaced, it will be a huge savings. You can order bulbs through Novatron if you wish. You must sign a waiver. A merchant on ebay sells bulbs all the time for $23.

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...