I am planning on going to Grand Teton the last week of September

(starting the 25th). Any guesses as to what the fall color situation

will be like at that time this year (my hope is to catch the aspen

trees while they're yellow of course)? Anyone know a good source of

information for this sort of thing? Anything I can look for in the

weather reports?

Thanks...

Nosh

With the aspens, you just about can't lose. The green leaves just glow with light, the yellow ones (or orangy red if you're lucky) are even better, and the trees still look neat when all the leaves are gone.

And, don't know about the Tetons, but where we lived in CO, the fall colors varied some with altitude, so you could just go higher up or lower down and find some variation.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Ok, a follow up for those who have been there in the fall...

Do I need reservations for the cheaper motels or will they not be full that time of year? I'm thinking of splitting my time between Jackson Hole and West Yellowstone. I'd like to stay flexible on when I'm where (depending on wheather, etc.), but I don't want to get stuck with high hotel rates. This really needs to be a budget trip...

We were in that area, about that time for our honeymoon. We had reservations both in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (Signal Mountain and the Inn at Old Faithful). Colors were great but we came very close to having to go the long way around from Jackson to Idaho and via West Yellowstone due to an early storm - fortunately it jumped past the area and hit the Grand Junction area harder. Also, West Yellowstone seemed to be almost completely "dead" as it was after the main season and before snowmobile season, so it may be good to make some calls about lodging. Yellowstone park hotels were the same, some of the lodging had already closed for the season and winter accomodations weren't open.

The window for fall color in the Tetons is between September 20th and October 5th so you should be in the middle. The elk rut will be tapering off in Yellowstone after the 25th but there will still be plenty of action.

Good Luck and maybe I will see you there.<div>009Ml3-19465084.jpg.d07aed61e70e54eddc352eb6fa1cdab0.jpg</div>

Nosh, the prices fall beginning October 1st, in fact the place we stay in Jackson Hole goes from $144.00 a night to $65.00 a night. We have stayed there many times during the 1st week of October and enjoyed great fall colors. If you stay in the park such as the Jackson Lake Lodge you shouldn't need reservations. I was told by the reservationist on the phone a couple years ago that I could get a better price when arriving at the front desk than I could over the phone. The price was better, but still about $130.00 per night for a simple cabin. https://gtlcreservations.com/jlldesc.htm Good luck, we may cross paths we are also returning October 1st again this year..

I spoke with a ranger at the center today (Greg) and he said that it's been pretty warm lately, but the cottonwoods have started to turn. He thought that the aspens were about 2 weeks out or so...He thought the peak might be as late as the first week of Oct, maybe the last of Sept.

<p/>

Anyone else heard or seen differently?

<p/>

-D

<p/>

<a href="http://www.coyoteimages.com">Coyote Images</a>