Mounting non-AI lenses on an F90x

tristanlaing

I've just aquired a 135 2.8 mf nikkor on ebay for a real steal (30$).

However, I realized after purchasing it that while it is not a Q

lens, it is not AI, but a late pre AI version. Does this mean it

will cause damage mounting on my F90x? I assume it means the meter

will not work. What kind of damage may/will occur if I try to mount

it? I suppose I could have it AI'd but at the cost I might aswell

resell this and buy an AI version of the lens. Anyone want to buy a

135 2.8 non AI?

I'll offer it for my cost after converting to Canadian dollars and shipping, which came to about 60 Canadian. I think that would make it low 40's U.S., plus shipping. I'll sell it for 60 Canadian. I feel wrong giving it up, the glass is perfect, and aside from some dents its in perfect shape (focus smooth, apature snappy). Seems like it should be worth more than 60$Can. We'll, I suppose it would be if it would meter on my (or any other) modern amateur body.

"Does this mean it will cause damage mounting on my F90x?"

In theory the non-AI lens barrel will press against the camera aperture ring as you try to mount the lens, and the pressure could damage the aperture-sensing resistor in the N90s. In practice, the N90s has a little more clearance than most bodies, and SOME ODD non-AI lenses can be carefully mounted without damage. But go slowly, and if you feel even the slightest pressure while you are mounting the lens, STOP and QUIT!!

Thanks Charles, I will try carefully. This escapade has helped me learn alot more about AI lenses! I'm considering converting it to AI myself. I've found a few sites with diagrams showing how to grind the apature ring. It doesn't seem to dangourous, because if I really fuck up I can just purchase an AI apature ring for the lens (hey - they are still made today!). I'm in the Vancouver area.

Before you go and hack the ring, you should know that the factory AI conversions are not sold new unless there is leftover stock from the 70's.

Brighouse Camera in Richmond wasn't a bad place to get lens repairs done. Really you want to have the ridge machined with an end mill. If you know where to start the ridge and how much to remove, a machinist should be able to do this work for a small charge. Just make sure you completely remove the aperture ring.

I finally recieved the lens in the mail today. It will not mount on my F90x without pushing on the apature indexing resistor prong. However - it does mount without interference (at all!) to my girlfriend's F70. (My anniversary present to her, arn't I nice). Since it won't mount on my F90, I'm taking it to Camtex Camera's tommorow to have it converted. So, this is the end of the chapter. Thanks everyone for their help.