which brand

mo_jo

Hi there I'm looking to purchase a fast lens (2.8)

My choice Canon 24-70mm L 2.8

problem is, is it worth the $ compared to other brands

I do a very few weddings a year and currently I"m using film. Next year I will

buy my digital 30/40 or 5d

what can my forum buddies tell me canon tamron sigma...

quality of picture at 2.8 how sharp and chrispy

Tks

The main reason to choose 3rd party lenses is due to budget. I use a Tamron 28-75 2.8 on a Nikon D70 and I am more than happy with the image quality. I used the Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 ATX pro and the Tokina 80-200 2.8 ATX pro for years on Canon EOS1 and EOS100 film bodies and was happy with them especialy the 28-70. The main thing I did not like about the Tokina 80-200 2.8 was the weight and the close focusing distance. I changed to Nikon to have manual focus and auto focus in the same mount. Sometimes I like the light weight small MF bodies and it is nice to be able to share most of the lenses.

I'd think long and hard about getting that particular lens. I personally hate it. There are several photographers who won't use it, and some will tell you that it's perfect. All I can say is that in my experience it has proven disappointing on several occassions, especially in poor lighting conditions (kind of like a wedding reception:)).

I tried the sigma EX 24-70 f2.8 MACRO, it didn't come close to my 17-40L and nowhere near my 24-70L. I've had two copies of the lens and both were sharp wide open throughout the range. The hood design is fantastic offering a perfect hood for each focal length as you zoom, there is vignetting at 24mm but it's gone by 28mm, it is sharp and very contrasty throughout, as good as my 50mm prime and personally I feel it beats my 70-200 f4L for both sharpness and contrast, there is no doubt that it is better than my 17-40L. The colour is very neutral compared to the usually slightly warm canon lenses. Admittedly the 85mm 1.8 (I've had two) beats it hands down for contrast and clarity but from samples I've seen from the 3 pentax primes I'm buying with the forthcoming K10D, the 3 pentax primes don't come close to the canon 24-70L zoom.

I sold my first to buy the 24-105L, it lasted 3 weeks before I bought the 24-70L back, just no contest. Admittedly it is a heavy lens and not everyones cup of tea focal length wise, if you are used to top notch primes like the L glass then it won't blow your eyes out, however compared to the other zooms in the focal lengths including from other manufacturers, it reigns supreme.

I currently have a number lenses and I can say that I love the "L" glass. What I can tell you, if accepting range of 28-75mm is ok with you, you should definitely try Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

I have a copy I purchased sometime ago and love it. One thing to note, I had to try 2 copies before I found the one I loved. Currently comparing to my 24-105L and my friend's 24-70L, it came in on par when looking at sharpness. Focus is a bit slower. While looking at the build of the lens, its far far away from how L feels in your hands, the advantage of having a lower qulity built lens is that its light.

I have also heard that Sigma 70-200 is pretty good, but in my eyes, for wedding business not having IS on tele lens is a huge disadvantage.

To summ it up, if you can afford it, go for the L if not carefully research other possibilities, but not without being able to keep exchanging untill you get the quality product.

While I have not tried any of the third party lenses, I would say the Canon is more than worth it, regardless of the use (wedding, portraits, landscapes, etc.) The Canon 24-70 is my primary lens and I have been extremely happy with it in all situations. I would say if you plan to continue a career in photography I would certainly buy the best out there. Good luck!

Yeah, I know. But I'd hate for someone else to spend all that money on a lens thinking it will be wonderful without lots of research. :) Besides, I'm not on fifth grade anymore - I'm rubber, they're glue - whatever they say bounces off me and sticks on them! Guess that doesn't rhyme does it? :P

<P STYLE="border: groove">The main reason to choose 3rd party lenses is due to budget.

<P>..and the main reason to buy Canon lenses is to guaraantee future compatibility! I've

read several reports of incompatiblities between third-party lenses and <em>future

</em> bodies. From what I can gather, third party lenses are fine for SLR bodies already

in production, but bodies released at a later date may require firmware upgrades, if

available. If unavailable, you're SOL.

<P>That aside, I purchased a 24-70/2.8L and 70-200/4L, and just today rented a

17-40/4L. All lenses are are of great quality, and work flawlessly. AF is fast and spot-on

(depending on body of course; my EOS-3 outperformed my 10D for AF accuracy in low-

light), and I am now convinced that the 16-35/2.8L will be my next purchase after

experiencing the wide-angle 17-40/4L on film!

Mo Jo - If you do a few weddings, it will be hard to justify. However, the lens will give you much better performance wide open and probalby make you a lot more confident than the 3rd party. if you do a lot of weddings, then you should get the best tools that you can. it is a great lens...and I used it until I tried the 17-55 IS on my 20D bodies. I still keep the 24-70 around waiting for the day that I go full frame...

check out www.the-digital-picture.com for some good 'hands on' reviews.

MO Jo

answering strictly to your questions.

Assuming that you need this lens immediately,

Canon lens is an excellent choice...if you can make your money back in two shoots its a good investment (strictly my theory). Well built, good colour and contrast.

If money is short ( like me) consider Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Very Good lens. Sharp and contrasty too. I shot 7 weddings with this lens and got paid all the time. It is definitely not built like an L.

I cannot comment on Sigma since i never used it.

By the way if you live near Philadelphia, PA area you can borrow my Tamron and see how it works..

Cheers

Taffy