10D Write Speeds

tauseef_asri

I am looking to get the 10D as I need it pretty soon and cant wait

until christmas to get a 20D so was wondering what the write speeds

are like. I dont shoot action but will take shots fairly quickly

depending on the situation. Is it really worth getting a Sandisk

ultra II card or will something slower suffice?

Thanks.

When I bought my 10D earlier this year, I was told by my dealer --whi had every reason to *want* to sell me more expensive higher-speed cards-- that the 10D can't take advantage of CF cards rated faster than 20x.

I have three 12x Lexar cards, and find them fast enough for just about anything, including my sailing race shoots.

Are you going to be shoot alot of 9 image bursts?

Unless you are constantly filling the buffer every 3-4 seconds I don't think you're going to run into a problem shooting as fast as you want to. I use regular Sandisk 1 GB flash cards. The added expense of the Extreme cards doesn't warrant the higher price to me. Maybe if you shoot in weather extremes it does, but I'm not sure how much faster the write speeds are going to be.

I shoot sports with a 10D and trust me, the write speed of the card makes a huge difference with this camera. I use Sandisk ultra 2 cards and hit my buffer far less than when I use my lexar 12x. As a previous post mentioned, check out www.robgalbraith.com where he has the write / record speed for almost every DSLR and almost every cf card available. Good Luck!

This June I used Sandisk Extreme 512mb, Ultra II 512mb, and regular Sandisk 1gb cards in an outdoor shoot of cicadas using my 10D. Some burst shots (mating), some single shots. By far the regular Sandisk was the slowest, especially at burst. Ultra II & Extreme almost identical in fast burst. Unless you're doing Antarctic shooting & need the Extreme, go with the Ultra II, especially if you're planning to move to the 20D. Sealed 1gb ones can be had from reputable dealers on the Net for less than $170.<div>009Up4-19637784.jpg.d96be02c25a78632a33c8f9f71598197.jpg</div>