Canon A6xx battery life

In Philip Greenspun's article <a

href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/best-digital-camera/">The Best Digital

Cameras</a>, he says of the Canon A6xx series: "They use four AA batteries,

which are heavy and will last for only 50 pictures."

<p>Is this an exaggeration? If not, why has the power consumption gone up so

much? I have an A520, which only uses two AAs. I've shot over 500 photos on a

set of lithiums (never using flash) and well over a hundred on cheap alkalines.

Kevin,

150 with the alkalines supplied by Canon or with others? I doubt Canon's supplied batteries are very good by even alkaline standards.

The A640 also has a 2.5" screen whereas the A520 has a 1.8" screen. That should account for some of the additional drain.

I don't believe Phil's figures, but does it really matter? Alkalines are for emergency use. You already know to use either Lithiums or NiMHs.

Occasionally I use 4 Duracell alcaline batterys in my A620 and I find them to be as capable as rechargeble NM HD. Usually in exess of 250 pictures with LCD on and occasional flash use. In fact I find alcalines dont suffer from the dissapearing power sindrom after one Month like rechargebles. and the initial Voltage is higher to boot.

4 rechargeable NiMH AAs are what I recommend and have been using on my <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=317651">Canon A620</a> and I've certainly been getting more than 50 pictures from that set of 4 NiMH AAs. The newer A640's larger LCD may draw more power, but I'd bet it will definitely take more than 50 photos per charge!