input from members.

On that note, im a beginner to SLR photography, well not quite, but

im seriously getting into it now. I always found the price a bit

restrictive but now im dating a Kodak girl! (lol, wonder where my

new found interest in photography stems from). I've spent the last

few months playing with my dads old gear; A Pentax K1000 with the

standard SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2 lens and a Hanimex 80-200mm 1:4.5

Telephoto/Macro Lens. I've taken a few nice photo's (by my standards

anyway, lol) and it's really getting me inspired.

Anyway, just went out and bought my own camera. A used Pentax Z-70

body. Read some reviews on it, had a little play, really liked it,

the only thing i regret it doesnt have is the multi-zone metering. I

know a lot of people have brand loyalty to Canon and probably don't

agree with my Pentax choice (my girlfriend included), but i've

always loved the simplicity of the Petax's i've used and the ability

to use Dad's old manual lenses was a plus for me.

I've put one roll of film through the new camera and all is working

well, really happy with my first camera investment. But now im

starting to look into increasing my range and making things a little

easier on myself by getting some new AF lenses.

I've got a budget of about $400 Australian ($250-$300 US) and im

looking at getting new or used lenses to cover the 28-300mm focal

range. The first name that springs to mind in that price range is

Sigma, but im not sure of the quality of their low end lenses and

don't like the limitations of the maximum apatures. I've also looked

into the newer design all-in-one lenses (Sigma and Tamron), and i

like the idea of a compact design and one lens to do everything i

need but i see these are also quite unpopular with you guys.

So if someone can help me out and perhaps point me in the right

direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry about such a long message.

Marc

Marc

Don't worry too much about the negative opinions that you read about superzooms, Sigma zooms etc. You get what you pay for and everyone has their favorite lens brand. Select your lens depending what type of end product you want; normal 4x6 prints with the occasional enlargement up to 8 x 12 (if you shoot negative film) any of the Sigma or mid range Pentax lenses will give you acceptable results. What you must realise is, no mid-price zoom lens will match the optical or mechanical quality of the old SMC 50mm prime lens on your Dad's K1000. To match that quality you will have to spend a considerable amount of money for a zoom, and not much less on a prime lens. However, the difference will only be noticeable on large blow-ups or very high res scans.

Why don't you find a used Sigma zoom at a reputable dealer, and ask to try it out?

Hi Marc.

If you really feel the need to get a super zoom (and I'm thinking of the 28-200, not the 28-300s) You might want to look at the NEW Tamron 28-200. It is lighter and has a smaller filter diameter (62mm filter vs 72mm filters-meaning filters will be cheaper for this lens, significant when you need to get your circular (not linear) polarizer needed for your camera). As an exception to the rule DO NOT purchase the Pentax 28-200. It is Pentax's WORST lens and even though it is a rebagged Tamron (old version) it is optically worse than the old Tamron.

As a teacher of photography though let me plant a few things in your mind that I've learned myself and through my students. 1) THE best way to improve your photography is to buy (and use) a solid tripod. Unless you really know your stuff focal lengths over 200mm really need a tripod, but of course almost all images will be significantly improved by using a tripod. 2) You are better served (optically) to purchase 2 zooms to cover the range you are looking at. There are some very inexpensive lenses in the 70/80-200/300 that complement well 28-70 or even 28-105 lens. Look for used lenses, you can find some really great deals. The lenses to stay away from (generally) are the 28-80 varitable f-stops. You might want to spin over to www.keh.com They are in the states but ship internationally. You can actually trust their conservative ratings.

In the Sigma vs Tamron battle there are winners and loosers in each. You need to ask about individual lenses. However old Sigmas (and by this I mean lenses made pre-1990) are often poorly made lenses-you certainly can't say that of their newer lenses.

Hi Marc.

If you really feel the need to get a super zoom (and I'm thinking of the 28-200, not the 28-300s) You might want to look at the NEW Tamron 28-200. It is lighter and has a smaller filter diameter (62mm filter vs 72mm filters-meaning filters will be cheaper for this lens, significant when you need to get your circular (not linear) polarizer needed for your camera). As an exception to the rule DO NOT purchase the Pentax 28-200. It is Pentax's WORST lens and even though it is a rebagged Tamron (old version) it is optically worse than the old Tamron.

As a teacher of photography though let me plant a few things in your mind that I've learned myself and through my students. 1) THE best way to improve your photography is to buy (and use) a solid tripod. Unless you really know your stuff focal lengths over 200mm really need a tripod, but of course almost all images will be significantly improved by using a tripod. 2) You are better served (optically) to purchase 2 zooms to cover the range you are looking at. There are some very inexpensive lenses in the 70/80-200/300 that complement well 28-70 or even 28-105 lens. Look for used lenses, you can find some really great deals. The lenses to stay away from (generally) are the 28-80 varitable f-stops. You might want to spin over to www.keh.com They are in the states but ship internationally. You can actually trust their conservative ratings.

In the Sigma vs Tamron battle there are winners and loosers in each. You need to ask about individual lenses. However old Sigmas (and by this I mean lenses made pre-1990) are often poorly made lenses-you certainly can't say that of their newer lenses.

I own the new Tamron 28-200 with 62mm filter. I am quite satisfied with it and would recommend it if you are looking for a 28-200 zoom. There is noticeable pincushion distortion from about 50mm to 200mm, image quality is slightly weak at 200mm f/5.6.

For two zooms covering the range, you could look at a second hand Pentax 28-105mm f4-5.6 which has powerzoom or the new pentax 28-105mm f3.2-4.5. The Pentax 28-105 f4-5.6 with IF is a Tamron. For a telephoto zoom, there are the Sigma/Tamron 70-300mm with macro at 300mm. The price of these two lenses from 28-300 might exceed your budget though.

I would say go get a decent standard zoom and one long zoom to cover the range. It would almost certainly sevr you better. I know the budget is tight, so go search on the big Auction site ( you know the one begin with e ) and you will find loads of choice. Even good Pentax F 70-210/4-5.6 ( by universal account the best long zoom from Pentax in this range ) cost about 60 to 70 US over there.

If budget allows, I would go for the Tamron SP 28-75/2.8 XR, Its definitely the best zoom in the range on the market right now. And combine it with a Sigma 100-300/4.0 EX

One of the biggest mistakes that folks make is to use zooms to frame the things being photographed, so when you're using your zoom, select the focal-length that you need, then focus, frame, etc. <b>without altering the focal length</b>.

for comments on different pentax lenses check out http://www.stans-photography.info/

this is an excellent resource for help ing you choose which lens is right for you. Whether you want the best primes money can buy, the best value, bokeh, size, feel, problems and strong points of each focal length are discussed.

Personally I favor the multiple primes to cover the range you want for the simple reason that at each focal length you get more for less $$ + weight with primes. If you really want convenience, then you should be using a point and shoot camera (either 35mm film or digital). You can have just as much fun and get great results whichever path you choose.

Well - if you are very new to photography I would say wait a while, shoot a lot and see what you want to do. I have many lenses and have had others, and I have found that in terms of 35mm lenses, I almost never use anything longer than a 105 and I do use superwides. So I can be "limited." This would be different either if I were a pro, or if I wanted to have just one or two lenses. But I don't want to carry a heavy zoom around unless there is a need. (I do have two zooms, a big one that I never use because I don't need the longer focal lengths and a short one that I take when I am just having fun, but I don't care for either one.)

Hi Marc,

What kind of stuff are you shooting? I'll echo a couple of previous comments about long focal lengths - unless you're shooting something you can't approach with your feet (e.g. birds), I found that I used the long end of my zooms very infrequently. Also, long end shots require really steady hands & fast shutter speeds, or a monopod/tripod, to get nice nice sharp photos. I shoot mostly people, and only reason I have a 70-200 zoom is for wedding shots during the ceremony where I can't get close to the couple. I find the wide-angle range of a zoom much more handy for people/landscape stuff.

You can find some decent wide-angle to short-telephoto zooms out there for pretty cheap. Tamron/Tokina/Sigma all make 28-70 f2.8 zooms that are relatively cheap used and offer pretty solid optical quality - much closer to your dad's original 50 than the 28-300 zooms, and much faster than the f4-5.6 range on some of the monster zooms. Try looking on eB*y or KEH - there are quite a few around that fit your budget.

• 2 weeks later...
Not to take anything away from Canon,they have good stuff,but they got to where their at because they had a lot more ad money to use to promote their AE-1 when it came out in the late '70s.As far as lenses go,I'd get a 28 or 35.But that's just me,don't need to be in no hurry.People who buy alot of stuff right off usually get burned out about as fast.