M6 - problem with take up spool

hello, today I finished a roll of film with my M6, when I rewound the film -<br>

smooth as always, it got harder to turn after a while. So I used some more force<br>

and was finally able to rewind the film. Everything seemed to be ok, until I tried<br>

to load a new roll of film. After several tries I decided to take a look at the take up<br>

spool. There was a piece of film stuck in the spring that's sitting in the spool.<br>

I took the spring out and the 4th last curl from the top is not round. It forms kind of<br>

a "V" - It seems to be totally out of shape<p>

here are my questions: <br>a) Is this normal? (the shape of the spring)<br>

b) does this spring belong in there? (I loaded film without the spring and it seems to

<br>work better)<br>

c) If the spring does belong in there - where can I get one?<p>

many thanks<br>

Markus

Markus: I just opened up my M6. There is a spring in the take-up spool. It has a normal shape with a decreasing diameter on the last couple of turns. I would try DAG or Golden Touch for a new one. I believe you could do without the spring as long as you made sure the film properly engaged the sprockets when you load the camera. It's function appears to be to hold the leader DOWN in the film gate for proper alignment when rapid-loading the body.

Cheers.

Mark J.